DGAG horn machine, find of the year, already in February

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: DGAG horn machine, find of the year, already in February

Post by jamiegramo »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:28 am Jamie, thanks for your suggestion on removing the dents, I will read that closely and consider it, even if just reading your words make me nervous :lol:

Here are the rest of the trademarks found on the machine, the same "Grammophon" as on my three spring DGAG, and also...the lost plaque of the Angel.
No no they shouldn’t make you nervous. It’s the safest method I’ve found. Not like getting a hammer out. I see the dents are pushed inwards so why not try taking just one darning mushroom and try pushing the dents out from the inside of the horn. Rubbing up and down with a bit of strength. Anyway I’ve seen worse dents so it’s still a good horn.

The Angel Plaque seems have enjoyed a longer period of use in Germany than in Britain. It can help date British machines.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I actually had to google what a darning mushroom is. I have never seen one of this before here. I will buy one online, I understand they are made of wood.
Thanks Jamie, I will try it...carefully.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Yes made of hardwood normally beech. Probably best to get a rounded one rather than a flattened one. Isn’t there one in mother’s old sewing box? What about the old lady next door? I think folks just buy new socks now. Darn useful items to have to roll out small dents.
Attachments
4189BEA5-8F4E-4CE3-B7DF-A1A8A96AFB63.jpeg
4189BEA5-8F4E-4CE3-B7DF-A1A8A96AFB63.jpeg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 454 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If you're mending socks & haven't got a darning mushroom, you can drop an egg in the sock--but I don't think I would try to roll dents out with an egg.

A brass instrument repairman might be able to fix it. That is such a nice horn.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have never seen a darning mushroom here, so it is something that unfortunately belongs to the past here, and yes..no one is repairing old socks anymore, at least not around here.
Thanks for the positive comment too VanEpsFan on the horn, unfortunately it will cost a fortune here to ask an instrument worker for assistance, so I will buy a darning mushroom online and try it. :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I had to take a fire damaged elbow from a 10-panel Edison cygnet to a brass instrument man and he ended up fixing it for free just because he'd never worked on one before. He was the man who used to fix the horns for the U.S. Marine Band, and was a sergeant, so I stood watching the work while he cursed and snarled and growled his way through the shop, speaking with reverent admiration for the brass trade and then punctuating every turn of the clamps and blow of the mallet with profanity that would have thrilled Mark Twain.

Impressive work considering the compound shape of a cygnet elbow. You never know; it doesn't hurt to ask!

I

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I need some guidance, from someone knowing these early HMV motors, since I have not yet serviced one of those.
Should I take any precautions before removing the turntable from this motor, or said in other words, is the turntable fastened in a similar way as on the later 32 motor? (I have removed plenty of turntables from the 32/34 motor) It is somewhat stuck, and I wanted to ask before applying some force.
We can see someone has tried to repair one of the governor springs, and substituted a probably lost screw with a small rivet or something similar. I hope they have not ruined the threads, I have not yet been able to remove the rivet, but am working on it. The rivet has later on caused the spring to break.

I also found this small part at the bottom of the cabinet, does someone recognize it, and what it is, or if it even belong to the motor? The size is approximately 8 mm.
Attachments
IMG20230224231933.jpg
IMG20230224231944.jpg
IMG20230224231920.jpg
IMG20230224232512.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I believe this is the type where the spindle unscrews to remove the turntable. There is a slot in the top of the turntable spindle where you place a well fitting screwdriver or you can place the length of a thick knife, that fits tightly, for more leverage. Hold the turntable tight and gently attempt to unscrew the turntable spindle counter clockwise.

In the older type, generally seen with the clamping plate, the whole turntable unscrews from the spindle shaft.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

nostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:43 pm I also found this small part at the bottom of the cabinet, does someone recognize it, and what it is, or if it even belong to the motor? The size is approximately 8 mm.
It appears that this part was originally from the governor. It has been replaced by the hex nut.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Yes, 1905-8, but with that motor nearer 1905 than 1908. The red turntable mat could be original -- one or two early Cabinet models have turned up with red felt mats.

The stray part does look like part of the governor, but it should have three equal size flats, so it has been vandalised, which may be why someone has replaced it with a nut.