Bamboo needles

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
slammer
Victor O
Personal Text: I love the smell of Shellack in the morning

Bamboo needles

Post by slammer »

Hi Y‘all.
Just putting this out, I recently got a HMV soundbox with a triangular needle apature, Seeing that I have had an interest in bamboo needles and knowing that there is a contemporary needle cutter I was wondering if anybody had such a cutter for sale?

Ahmed
Victor I

Re: Bamboo needles

Post by Ahmed »

slammer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:54 pm Hi Y‘all.
Just putting this out, I recently got a HMV soundbox with a triangular needle apature, Seeing that I have had an interest in bamboo needles and knowing that there is a contemporary needle cutter I was wondering if anybody had such a cutter for sale?
I have this HMV that I don't use, if that's any help
Attachments
PXL_20230216_195244920.jpg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Please post this as an ad in the appropriate Trader section, following the rule for items posted there.

slammer
Victor O

Post by slammer »

Sorry, first time looking to buy

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Depends which sound box it is. There were several different models of cutter, any of which can be used to cut fibre needles, but the one in your picture is designed to cut a needle while still in the sound box, and fits over the turntable spindle to give the correct alignment. Cutter No 4 is for the No 4 sound box, No 5 for No. 5, 5A for 5A and No 6141B for all of 'em.

slammer
Victor O

Post by slammer »

Oedipus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:37 am Depends which sound box it is. There were several different models of cutter, any of which can be used to cut fibre needles, but the one in your picture is designed to cut a needle while still in the sound box, and fits over the turntable spindle to give the correct alignment. Cutter No 4 is for the No 4 sound box, No 5 for No. 5, 5A for 5A and No 6141B for all of 'em.
Thankfully this thread is turning out to be a learning thread, not just a looking for stuff one. Don´t feel too bad about posting in the wrong section.
The HMV has a number 4 soundbox, so I would need to take that into consideration.
Hmm! Interesting.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Oedipus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:37 am Depends which sound box it is. There were several different models of cutter, any of which can be used to cut fibre needles, but the one in your picture is designed to cut a needle while still in the sound box, and fits over the turntable spindle to give the correct alignment. Cutter No 4 is for the No 4 sound box, No 5 for No. 5, 5A for 5A and No 6141B for all of 'em.

Interesting, I never realised it was different cutters for different soundboxes!

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

I recommend an Davey EMG cutter. If it has a good blade, I should say it is the best cutter I have ever had. It is available on ebay.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Watanabehi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:27 am
I recommend an Davey EMG cutter. If it has a good blade, I should say it is the best cutter I have ever had. It is available on ebay.
I have quite a few different bamboo cutters and am currently using an Expert cutter - which kind of resembles the 'Davey'. The Expert works very well with the HMV number 4 sound box I am using on a daily basis at the moment.

(My favourite one is from France but it is packed away at the moment and I can't remember who made it).

Hoodoo
Victor O

Post by Hoodoo »

You don’t really need a cutter, just a sheet of sandpaper and a flat surface. It is all I ever use and it works fine. Plus, it removes less material with each sharpening than does a cutter.
See Alex Kirtley’s how to video.

https://youtu.be/EiuypyjHX8Y