Early soundboxes

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Early soundboxes

Post by chunnybh »

Here are two unusual soundboxes. The first is a Virtz based on the European Pianina Grand Concert. It's the only soundbox I have seen that allows for the adjustment of the angle of the stylus bar.
The next is a Meltrope 3 which looks like it is provisional patent approval. Note the front guard is the same shape as the profile on the patent papers. The back nut and rubber are a smaller diameter than the post patent models.
Attachments
Virtz-2.jpg
Virtz-3.jpg
Meltrope 3 Patent applied for-1.jpg
Meltrope 3 Patent applied for-2.jpg
Meltrope 3 Patent applied for-3.jpg
Meltrope 3 Patent applied for-4.jpg
Meltrope-3-patent.jpg
Last edited by chunnybh on Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Early soundboxes

Post by Inigo »

It's very interesting, many thanks!
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

As Inigo says, very interesting indeed.

Great to see these.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

chunnybh wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:26 pm Here are two unusual soundboxes. The first is a Virtz based on the European Pianina Grand Concert. It's the only soundbox I have seen that allows for the adjustment of the angle of the stylus bar.
The next is a Meltrope 3 which looks like it is provisional patent approval. Note the front guard is the same shape as the profile on the patent papers. The back nut and rubber are a smaller diameter than the post patent models.
Very interesting. Where do you find these unusual items?

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Wonderful to see - particularly, the Meltrope. Many thanks, Chunny!

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Those Meltrope pics are interesting.

I came across this Meltrope III a while back which has a different back design to the standard- and a different front. They’re not interchangeable.

Always wondered where it fit and if it could have been an early one or a trial type?
Attachments
B5ACFEB9-50F6-4491-94BA-03AADE0BBDBC.jpeg
08E432D2-EDDA-40FF-9E7A-6AD868CCACA7.jpeg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Very nice to see the chromed version. Looks great.
I suspect once Meltrope had the basic design , they would have tried out various materials to try and lighten the weight and also keep manufacturing costs down.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I have one exactly like leels 1@s, except that the mask is oxidised, not nickel (though the rim of the bezel is nickel). Like that one, mine has two indents in the mask to press on the stylus plate, rather than ball bearings. On mine, these are insulated with thin pieces of what look like leather, but they might not be original. The back is the same as both yours, but with a nickel compression collar, and suitable for a tone-arm of no more than ¾ inch OD. The indent system was also used on the Meltrope 4. Chunny's looks to have ball bearings, though with a different shape of housing from the normal No 3. Chunny, your compression ring looks to have unusual knurling, and also appears to be unplated brass. Could itbe a replacement?

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Oedipus wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:35 am I have one exactly like leels 1@s, except that the mask is oxidised, not nickel (though the rim of the bezel is nickel). Like that one, mine has two indents in the mask to press on the stylus plate, rather than ball bearings. On mine, these are insulated with thin pieces of what look like leather, but they might not be original. The back is the same as both yours, but with a nickel compression collar, and suitable for a tone-arm of no more than ¾ inch OD. The indent system was also used on the Meltrope 4. Chunny's looks to have ball bearings, though with a different shape of housing from the normal No 3. Chunny, your compression ring looks to have unusual knurling, and also appears to be unplated brass. Could itbe a replacement?
I know Mr Wild "tuned" Meltrope IIs by adding leather pads to where the ball bearings meet the body... perhaps it's similar?

The bezel although looking plated is worn and the body is still potmetal which is annoying. That said the composition of the potmetal doesn't seem to be too bad or susceptible to expanding.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

compression ring looks to have unusual knurling, and also appears to be unplated brass. Could it be a replacement?
Could be, but I doubt it. What has happened here is that the ring must have ceased to the body and someone used an unprotected tool to force it and has also sheared the knurling away unevenly so now it looks different at different parts of the ring. The lighting in the pic also makes it look different.
The ring is smaller than usual and is the same as the Meltrope I.
And, yes! Wild did use leather to "tune" the Meltrope III