EMG Radiogram DCU3-S

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

EMG Radiogram DCU3-S

Post by chunnybh »

C.1962. This EMG radiogram turned up recently and I was kindly sent some pics.
https://www.gramophonemuseum.com/davey- ... CU3-S.html
Attachments
EMG RG-J-Davis (1).jpg

slammer
Victor O
Personal Text: I love the smell of Shellack in the morning

Re: EMG Radiogram DCU3-S

Post by slammer »

That thing looks like the sixties in persona. Love it.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

I never seen one like that - thank you for sharing the photos, Chunny.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Wonderful to see, many thanks Chunny. Let's hope it isn't broken up for its valuable amplifiers as most of them seem to be.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Looks like a Lenco turntable

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

In the States, the style of this phonograph would be called Mid-Century Modern or MCM for short. I think that's a relatively new term. Anything the auction houses label MCM now brings very high prices. I think this particular market is driven by people of a certain age trying to capture the phantom of their long-lost childhood. Give it a few more years and prices will drop along with NIB Star Wars toys, another market driven by people of a certain age.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

jboger wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:35 am In the States, the style of this phonograph would be called Mid-Century Modern or MCM for short. I think that's a relatively new term. Anything the auction houses label MCM now brings very high prices. I think this particular market is driven by people of a certain age trying to capture the phantom of their long-lost childhood. Give it a few more years and prices will drop along with NIB Star Wars toys, another market driven by people of a certain age.
Maybe. I think that the people who collect EMG gramophones and related items would suggest that there is always a strong market for this 'superior' brand. I could be wrong though.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:48 am
jboger wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:35 am In the States, the style of this phonograph would be called Mid-Century Modern or MCM for short. I think that's a relatively new term. Anything the auction houses label MCM now brings very high prices. I think this particular market is driven by people of a certain age trying to capture the phantom of their long-lost childhood. Give it a few more years and prices will drop along with NIB Star Wars toys, another market driven by people of a certain age.

Maybe. I think that the people who collect EMG gramophones and related items would suggest that there is always a strong market for this 'superior' brand. I could be wrong though.
Except that by the time this was made, EMG wasn't a superior brand for anything. Far from it. You're quite right about the sentiment though, however misplaced it might be in general.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Absolutely right. Unquestionably so. We've seen it already in so many markets, not least the phonograph (gramophones) market since the 90s.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Hi Poodling Around.

I think I should clarify that I wasn't impugning this particular phonograph nor even Mid Century Modern, which can be furniture or wall clocks or table lamps, coffee tables--stuff from the Fifties, Sixties*, and early Seventies. Even record players, such as this one. Some of it I actually like; the lines can be quite clean.

John

*Miniskirts. They're part of the Sixties. I see that Mary Quant has died. I keep hoping they come back.