His Master's Voice record cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

His Master's Voice record cabinet

Post by nostalgia »

Yesterday I spotted this cabinet for sale, and within minutes I was out in the most terrible snow storm imaginable to buy it.
Does someone know more about this kind of cabinet? It is still in my car, and it was even full of records :clover:
I recognize the transfer as transfers found on gramophones from around 1911-13, but can the cabinet really be this old.
We can see one record index is torn, while the other is complete. I will carefully remove it and try to have it re printed to save it.

I have never seen this kind of cabinet for sale in my area before, so it was a easy decision to act on impulse.
Attachments
Cabinet2.jpg
Cabinet1.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: His Master's Voice record cabinet

Post by Steve »

Looks like a mahogany F.C.3 to me, from around mid-20's. I used to have one with the 100 record trigger slot action levers. I really like them but you have to remove the record sleeves before placing the record in the slot. I have a later F.C.5 now (made to match an HMV 203) with the identical inside. Later HMV cabinets were more cheaply made and didn't have the lever action.

Your cabinet was designed for a Table Grand gramophone to sit atop as it's rectangular in top. The F.C.5 has a square top so isn't quite as deep. I've restored several of these cabinets over the years. At one time you'd have to pay £500 to get one! To my mind they are the ultimate "HMV" collectible accessory.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: His Master's Voice record cabinet

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Steve, this information was very much appreciated. I will carefully restore the cabinet in the next few weeks.