Duplex

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Duplex

Post by Sherazhyder »

E711C69B-3291-40F5-8D8C-40E42839BF77.png
Does anyone own it ? It is such an interesting machine and I am curious to know how does this sound? Any videos will be appreciated.
Thanks

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Duplex

Post by jamiegramo »

If you post this under ‘Machines’ you will find quite a few US collectors who do or have owned one. There will be much more experience of them there than in Europe.

I believe the expectation is that they would produce more volume but hardly do.

All the same, fascinating machines.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just noted a brand new twin horn gramophone presented for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/265355980789?m ... media=COPY

Of course originating from India and with a HMV decal .

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

*Obviously a fake one

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Here’s a video of one that I sold a few months ago: https://youtu.be/wgl74yImRkQ

I have another one available page 6 of my website, but haven’t had the time to make a video yet: https://www.musicaltreasuresofmiami.com/6-phonos

Raphael

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Thank you for sharing! Very impressive collection put up for auction. I never knew about Duplex.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

After this posting I tried to compare videos of the Kalamazoo Duplex. This doesn’t really tell me much as you have to be there in person. However I did discover one fascinating thing:

Good Heavens! You know I actually counted no less than 9 coin-operated phonographs in that video. I watched it several times and it’s true...

and I’d like a copy of that record.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

jamiegramo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:35 pm...I believe the expectation is that they would produce more volume but hardly do. ...
I'd think the sound from one horn would be 180 degrees out of phase with that from the other, meaning the two would tend to cancel each other out.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Exactly right !! Out of phase.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Sherazhyder wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:41 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I just noted a brand new twin horn gramophone presented for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/265355980789?m ... media=COPY

Of course originating from India and with a HMV decal .
What I find interesting about this machine is the winding handle suggests it has a repurposed motor possibly form a HMV 102. The tonearm looks like it is from a portable too.
Whilst these fake machines are often referred to as reusing vintage parts, many of the machines currently being made seem to have all new parts, with copies of Garrard or Thorens motors