Cd or soft copy of books about gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Re: Cd or soft copy of books about gramophones

Post by Sherazhyder »

After we have thoroughly discussed the issue of importing books from USA and EU, someone should bring it to the knowledge of Mr Christopher Proudfoot and Mr Eric Reiss for releasing digital versions of their books for facilitating wider dissemination of knowledge without involving restrictive costs. At least the authors should find some innovative way of facilitating the access to those living in developing countries.
While agreeing that it is important for the author and publisher to recover their investment with some profit, I find it equally important for an author to reach to a diverse audience.
Regards
Sheraz

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

The authors should certainly receive compensation for their publications. Here are some links that you may find useful. Ill leave it up to the user about how to pay the authors.

Although the video is of low grade you can see and hear Mr Proudfoot demonstrating various music machines prepared for auction in 1975

https://archive.org/details/twitter-1159102991263326209

Eric Reiss’ The Complete Talking Machine is available for check-out and viewing at this link

https://archive.org/details/compleattal ... s/mode/2up

Bob Baumbach’s Mulholland Press is moving towards digital distribution via the iTunes Store.

The out of print Edison Cylinder book is available at this link.

http://www.mulhollandpress.com/styled-5 ... index.html

Archive.org is worth searching for other phonograph related literature.

Many issues of The Talking Machine World and the Edison Phonograph Monthly are available

Mark

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

It's my understanding that the Oakley and Proudfoot HMV book is to be published again at some point soon with updates. Am I wrong?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Garret wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:06 pm It's my understanding that the Oakley and Proudfoot HMV book is to be published again at some point soon with updates. Am I wrong?
Brian told me that this is the plan, to update it some time this year.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

MarkELynch wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:15 pm Here are some links that you may find useful.
Mark thank you very much for the link. Archives.org is really helpful. At least I could borrow and read The Compleat Talking Machine. Christopher Proudfoot’s book has a price tag of USD 250 and will come with all attendant costs so it’s not an option. However I will check with iTunes for the cd. Thank you for your time and effort.
Best regards
Sheraz

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Sherazhyder wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:06 pm
MarkELynch wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:15 pm Here are some links that you may find useful.
Christopher Proudfoot’s book has a price tag of USD 250 and will come with all attendant costs so it’s not an option.
Best regards
Sheraz
That seems awfully steep. Abe Books has several copies for sale well under that -- https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/ti ... proudfoot/

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi OrthoFan ! Thanks for the suggestion. I just requested ordered the cheapest copy. This would not have been possible without your help 😊😊.
Regards
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

This very scholarly book about the talking machines is also out of print since long:
Attachments
8C92CFE3-4EEB-4843-A9B4-58C086F9576A.jpeg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Sherazhyder wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:06 pm This very scholarly book about the talking machines is also out of print since long:
I wouldn't sweat The Fabuluous Phonograph too much. Time was when it and From Tinfoil to Stereo were about the only readily available sources of extensive information about phonographs and their history, but nowadays you can get more and better information with a few clicks of a mouse and a Web browser than they (particularly the Gelatt volume) ever had to offer. At least, that's my perception of the world as it is today.