Where to Find Pathé Parts to Repair?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
rkruz
Victor Jr

Where to Find Pathé Parts to Repair?

Post by rkruz »

I broke a metal cast part on a Pathé that holds the horn. I cannot tell what the model is of the Pathé. See the attached pictures of the broken part and the phono.
Would you know where I can find parts for this machine?
Thank you
phono.jpg
broke part.jpg
broke part 2.jpg

Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: Where to Find Pathé Parts to Repair?

Post by Dulcetto »

Your best bet is to keep an eye out on French ebay listings. ( ebay.fr ) This style of mechanism commonly turns up in France and although there are slight variations in the design ,were made by Pathé in their hundreds of thousands so surviving examples not hard to find. Keep an eye out for listings showing incomplete or damaged machines but having the part you need -- likely to be cheaper .This particlular Pathé model doesn't normally generate a lot of interest on French ebay as they turn up frequently and I guess most French machine collectors already own examples of them. Pathé gave their models different names and number designations in different countries , but in the UK this model was known as the reversible lid style " Perfecta " at one time. Good luck !

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

rkruz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:14 am I broke a metal cast part on a Pathé that holds the horn. I cannot tell what the model is of the Pathé. See the attached pictures of the broken part and the phono.
This is a relatively common machine, unfortunately with pot metal parts. I recommend you to contact Pedro Martinez in Madrid, he will make a metal replacement for you, which will make you happy forever after. You could find another pot metal part like that in French eBay, but it is a high risk endeavor: you will have no assurance that it will not crack when you install it, and by then you will regret not paying more to have a solid metal part made for you.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:26 am
rkruz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:14 am I broke a metal cast part on a Pathé that holds the horn. I cannot tell what the model is of the Pathé. See the attached pictures of the broken part and the phono.
This is a relatively common machine, unfortunately with pot metal parts. I recommend you to contact Pedro Martinez in Madrid, he will make a metal replacement for you, which will make you happy forever after. You could find another pot metal part like that in French eBay, but it is a high risk endeavor: you will have no assurance that it will not crack when you install it, and by then you will regret not paying more to have a solid metal part made for you.
I agree with Carlos. This is good advice. In my experience a lot of stuff from France hasn't been in great condition to start with but quite a few sellers on French Ebay don't appear to take much care to wrap things properly. I've just received an 1100 Euro Pathé machine with metal parts just loosely wrapped in bubble (insufficient quantity and not taped up at all) left to be thrown around in the box and the cast back bracket has broken at the base of the stem.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Here's an example of the work that Pedro does - It is of the best quality....
Attachments
ewc8.jpg
ewc8.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 595 times
ewc7.jpg
ewc7.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 595 times
ewc3.jpg
ewc3.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 595 times
ewc1.jpg
ewc1.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 595 times

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hello, a while ago, I bought several Pathé machines and around 9 out of 10 got the same issue....
IMG_20230516_105439.jpg
So, if you can, rather try to get a replica.
Jean-Paul Agnard was making replicas but he had health issues and it's no longer available.
Please keep us posted if you find a good replica!
Best luck.
Jeff

rkruz
Victor Jr

Post by rkruz »

Dulcetto wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:41 am Your best bet is to keep an eye out on French ebay listings. ( ebay.fr ) This style of mechanism commonly turns up in France and although there are slight variations in the design ,were made by Pathé in their hundreds of thousands so surviving examples not hard to find. Keep an eye out for listings showing incomplete or damaged machines but having the part you need -- likely to be cheaper .This particlular Pathé model doesn't normally generate a lot of interest on French ebay as they turn up frequently and I guess most French machine collectors already own examples of them. Pathé gave their models different names and number designations in different countries , but in the UK this model was known as the reversible lid style " Perfecta " at one time. Good luck !
Good info. thank you

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Have you tried Ken Priestley for spares?

Ken@fonograf.com

rkruz
Victor Jr

Post by rkruz »

phonodesbois wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:10 am Hello, a while ago, I bought several Pathé machines and around 9 out of 10 got the same issue....
IMG_20230516_105439.jpg
So, if you can, rather try to get a replica.
Jean-Paul Agnard was making replicas but he had health issues and it's no longer available.
Please keep us posted if you find a good replica!
Best luck.
Jeff
I've not found a replacement, however, I did do an adequate repair. I used industrial super glue to attach the through-hole bits back on, but that alone is not strong enough at all but just to hold it in place for the next step. With the small bits now attached with super glue, I then roughed up the sides with a Dremel grinder and cut a steel nail the same length as the part, and also roughed it up with the grinder. Then using JB Weld steel embedded epoxy, set the nail on both sides and applied more epoxy to encase the nail and cover the sides of the part. After a 2-day cure, cleaned up the epoxy with a Xacto knife. It seems to be holding up well. I'll still look for an affordable replacement, but until that day comes, this is working fine. I've attached an image of the finished result. Thank you for the information.
20230518_153854_resized_1.jpg