Decca 77

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Decca 77

Post by Steve »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204340494295 ... media=COPY

Decca offered its own version of the re-entrant horn in its models 70, 72, 73 and 77. There may be other similar Salon models but the 77 is a mahogany cabinet top of the range model and like its slightly smaller brethren, utilises a bifurcated horn that fills the cabinet.

This example looks OK but is missing the original soundbox and the top has been poorly refinished. Note how it uses very similar style decorative details to the doors as the HMV 203.

Still, it's a machine you don't see every day and based on my 73 plays amazingly well. It's not expensive either.

It has better sound than a 157 but I need to compare it to my 163 and 202. Either way, it's a cracking little performer in my book.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Decca 77

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:06 pm It has better sound than a 157 but I need to compare it to my 163 and 202. Either way, it's a cracking little performer in my book.
Decca and Columbia brands never reached the popularity of HMV, and that is reflected on the low prices that these machines command. Nevertheless their machines, especially the best ones like that, sound as good if not better than HMVs - this is my experience with a large Columbia 132, a great performer. The Decca 77 looks well-made, and there are accounts on you tube that claim the high quality of its sound.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I had a Decca 72 which, for reasons of space, I sold to make room for my Micro-Perophone Chromogram. Few people have the space to do a side by side comparison with several cabinet machines, but I considered the sound of the the Chromogram brighter and more forward than the Decca.
Attachments
Salon Decca 72 002.JPG
Salon Decca 72 002.JPG (90.74 KiB) Viewed 483 times

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:08 am I had a Decca 72 which, for reasons of space, I sold to make room for my Micro-Perophone Chromogram. Few people have the space to do a side by side comparison with several cabinet machines, but I considered the sound of the the Chromogram brighter and more forward than the Decca.
Could that in part at least be down to the fact that the Decca has an exceptionally good Paillard Concert soundbox which reproduces bass so well. I'd concur that the Decca 72 does tend to have a softer, more relaxed sound with a tendency towards the bass end of the frequency range, possibly at the expense of the high frequencies, which might make the Chromogram sound brighter in comparison. With that said I've never heard a Chromogram.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Here is a Decca 73 for sale up here, it will say,,,it is 500 km away from here.
And no..I am not going there to buy it, even if the price is only € 420.
And yes,it could be interesting to compare it to my HMV 163, but it will not happen.... :geek:
Attachments
500_1861446317.jpg
500_845396059.jpg
500_626052238.jpg
500_321322017.jpg

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Thanks for confirming something for me! There is a 70 which is the smallest model "Salon" Decca cabinet gramophone. Then I believe there is a 72 in oak, which is what I have and is identical to what epigramophone has shown above, a very slightly bigger version of the 70. It appears the 73 is identical to 72 apart from being in mahogany. I don't think there's a 74 and 75 designation went to a portable. Was there a 76? The 77 I have seen in various style cabinets but all in mahogany and we know that was slightly bigger again. It might follow that a 76 was an oak version of the largest model.