Stylish Parlophone portable pot metal problems

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Stylish Parlophone portable pot metal problems

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:43 am That seems to me to be a rather clumsy arrangement. Is that vast slot boxed in under the motor board, or is it open allowing dust and goodness knows what else to get into the space occupied by the horn and motor?
No, the slot is closed at the back, with just the hole for the shaft of the handle to pass through. When the handle is folded and pressed in, it lies just below the front of the case, so there is nothing sticking out. Far from being clumsy, it's a neat way of both storing the handle and preventing it's possible loss.
Barry

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Here's the pictures of the handle in it's three positions for storage, plus some of the Parlophone "Cantorette" machine.

Barry
Attachments
P1050667.JPG
P1050671.JPG
P1050666.JPG
P1050672.JPG
P1050669 - Copy.JPG
P1050668.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The arrangement on your machine is much neater than the eBay example, which I still think looks like an unfinished afterthought.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Very nice machine, Barry. I think you've shown me that in person? I tend to agree with Roger that the metal trim around the aperture on your machine does make it look a little more finished.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:45 pm The arrangement on your machine is much neater than the eBay example, which I still think looks like an unfinished afterthought.
There is certainly something amiss with the handle on the eBay machine. Compared to mine, there seems to be vital parts missing, so that it could never fold and retract. The principle remains the same, though. I wonder if that rectangular slot originally had a metal surround, but it would have been an awkward thing to make, so possibly not......
Barry

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:40 pm Very nice machine, Barry. I think you've shown me that in person?
Yes I have, Steve, but you saw so many machines on that day, it's not surprising you can't remember them all in detail!
Barry