A much modified but interesting machine.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

A much modified but interesting machine.

Post by epigramophone »

The horn is similar to an early EMG, the tonearm appears to be from a late 1920's Micro-Perophone Chromogram, and a Goldring Lenco turntable has been fitted by someone who thought the acoustic system worth keeping..
It was clearly a machine of some quality, but who made it?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 4bb2ec9ee3
Attachments
horn.jpg
turntable.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: A much modified but interesting machine.

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:43 am The horn is similar to an early EMG, the tonearm appears to be from a late 1920's Micro-Perophone Chromogram, and a Goldring Lenco turntable has been fitted by someone who thought the acoustic system worth keeping..

It is interesting as you say. The horn seems to be missing a screw in this photograph though ? I am unsure what that means really.

Could it be that it isn't original to the machine ? Maybe it doesn't seem to fit around the wood very well ? Perhaps it has just slipped ?
Attachments
missing.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:42 am
epigramophone wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:43 am The horn is similar to an early EMG, the tonearm appears to be from a late 1920's Micro-Perophone Chromogram, and a Goldring Lenco turntable has been fitted by someone who thought the acoustic system worth keeping..

It is interesting as you say. The horn seems to be missing a screw in this photograph though ? I am unsure what that means really.
It means it's been cobbled together from disparate parts!

The horn appears to be tin so not really very special and I'm not sure it started life in that cabinet either. The substitution for a Micro Perophone Chromogram tonearm is a curious decision too. Its not as though a great argument had ever been put forward for that long, almost parallel bore design as being acoustically ideal. As for the Lenco addition, it's time to pack up and go home. It's obviously someone's labour of love and was doubtless very personal to them and their tastes. I hope they got much pleasure from their efforts.

The cabinet is above average quality but the chances of restoring it back to original are near to zilch. Whoever buys it will probably be of a similar mind to its one time owner.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:01 am

The horn appears to be tin so not really very special and I'm not sure it started life in that cabinet either. The substitution for a Micro Perophone Chromogram tonearm is a curious decision too. Its not as though a great argument had ever been put forward for that long, almost parallel bore design as being acoustically ideal. As for the Lenco addition, it's time to pack up and go home. It's obviously someone's labour of love and was doubtless very personal to them and their tastes. I hope they got much pleasure from their efforts.

The cabinet is above average quality but the chances of restoring it back to original are near to zilch. Whoever buys it will probably be of a similar mind to its one time owner.
Just to say, I think your comment 'Whoever buys it will probably be of a similar mind to its one time owner' is absolutely correct. Very astute !!!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:11 pm

Just to say, I think your comment 'Whoever buys it will probably be of a similar mind to its one time owner' is absolutely correct. Very astute !!!
That's unless jakescore1 buys it. Then it'll reappear on Ebay a week later photographed perched on a brick wall.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:25 pm
poodling around wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:11 pm

That's unless jakescore1 buys it. Then it'll reappear on Ebay a week later photographed perched on a brick wall.
Ha ha ha !!! :lol: