Price Guide for Pathé Machines?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
rkruz
Victor Jr

Price Guide for Pathé Machines?

Post by rkruz »

where can I find a price guide for Pathés? I believe I have Coque machines but not sure. I like to understand the current value before trying to sell still at a bargain. thanks

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Price Guide for Pathé Machines?

Post by Steve »

rkruz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:16 am where can I find a price guide for Pathés? I believe I have Coque machines but not sure. I like to understand the current value before trying to sell still at a bargain. thanks
Good luck with that! My Pathé price guide is the one I carry around in my head. I don't believe there is any such thing in existence but even if there was, real time sales rarely reflect what someone has put in print. I could give some examples of what I mean but life is too short.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Before there can be a price guide there needs to be an identification guide. Pathé is so frustrating in this regard that I have just given up - if I like it and the price is attractive to me personally, then I will pick it up.

I’ve hoped for years to see a book, to be entitled “Cherchez le Coq” obviously, but it seems that this is a dream that will remain unfulfilled.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

There is no price guide, and in my view price guides are quite useless for such small hobby. As to the specific case of Coq, I presume you are referring to the smallest of the Reflex disc machines: it normally sells for around 200-300 euros in France if complete and in good condition. Outside France the price is up for grabs - few people outside France are knowledgeable about or care to collect Pathé machines.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:41 pm There is no price guide, and in my view price guides are quite useless for such small hobby. As to the specific case of Coq, I presume you are referring to the smallest of the Reflex disc machines: it normally sells for around 200-300 euros in France if complete and in good condition. Outside France the price is up for grabs - few people outside France are knowledgeable about or care to collect Pathé machines.
No truer statement has been written on this forum this year!

As I said previously being one of those collectors who DOES care about Pathé and collects the instruments outside France, I do very often feel like an outsider and the price I pay is the price I value the machine at, irrespective of the domestic market prices which don't really reflect the sort of items I buy anyway, or indeed their home market, which is quite irrelevant to me as I don't live there and have free access to it everyday.