Unique Pathé Soundbox Design

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Unique Pathé Soundbox Design

Post by CarlosV »

I disassembled a derelict Pathé soundbox from the late 20's/early 30s, and was surprised by its design. As you can guess from the photos, it is a beautiful Art Déco design, unfortunately unusable due to extreme swelling of the pot metal disc that holds the needle stem. The uniqueness of the design lies in three-legged spider connecting the needle bar to the diaphragm (visible in the photo), and the laminar spring that is used to flex the needle bar - this part of the design is not easy to see, as with the swelling of the body the connection broke, but it still can be hinted in the second photo (one side of the spring was screwed to a part of the disc, now broken). The only other use of a laminar spring to connect the needle bar I have seen, although quite different from this soundbox, is that of the Palmodian (the machine that utilizes a violin body in place of the horn). Too bad that the pot metal Pathé used to build this soundbox was so unstable (I have another one of these in the same poor condition), as the design hints at a high quality of reproduction.
Attachments
Pathé Art Déco soundbox 2.jpg
Pathé Art Déco soundbox 1.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Unique Pathé Soundbox Design

Post by Inigo »

The design of diaphragm and spider being so similar to the well known orthophonic system, it would be great to know if the backplate behind the diaphragm is shaped equally, as in the Victor/HMV examples.
The flexible copper plate (player spring) used to joint the needlebar fulcrum is a system also used by the later good quality Paillard and Thorens soundboxes.
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

It's a great pity that pot metal was used otherwise there might be many more useable examples of this great soundbox in existence today. I first saw it in the 1929 Pathé catalogue and instantly wanted a machine with that soundbox on it. I do love the very Art Deco touches but thank you for showing us the internals as it clearly sounded as good as it once looked. Pathé was an innovative company from the outset and explored far more avenues than the Big Three put together.

Is there a way to get the back-plates re-made out of aluminium, so the soundbox could be restored? I'd definitely be in for buying at least half a dozen new backs if we can find more in this condition to restore. I'm sure there must be many continental collectors who have machines with this problem and would like to get them fixed. Is it worth asking Jalal?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:46 am Is there a way to get the back-plates re-made out of aluminium, so the soundbox could be restored? I'd definitely be in for buying at least half a dozen new backs if we can find more in this condition to restore. I'm sure there must be many continental collectors who have machines with this problem and would like to get them fixed. Is it worth asking Jalal?
I am pretty sure that a new disc could be machined, Steve, the problem will be the cost. An expert like Pedro from Madrid surely has the competence to make one. Making a small production line is another story, I guess it will cost more than manufacturing only one.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:56 am
Steve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:46 am Is there a way to get the back-plates re-made out of aluminium, so the soundbox could be restored? I'd definitely be in for buying at least half a dozen new backs if we can find more in this condition to restore. I'm sure there must be many continental collectors who have machines with this problem and would like to get them fixed. Is it worth asking Jalal?
I am pretty sure that a new disc could be machined, Steve, the problem will be the cost. An expert like Pedro from Madrid surely has the competence to make one. Making a small production line is another story, I guess it will cost more than manufacturing only one.
Yes, it always comes down to cost but if we don't ask the question, we'll never know. It would be good to have the option which we don't currently have.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:46 am It's a great pity that pot metal was used otherwise there might be many more useable examples of this great soundbox in existence today. I first saw it in the 1929 Pathé catalogue and instantly wanted a machine with that soundbox on it. I do love the very Art Deco touches but thank you for showing us the internals as it clearly sounded as good as it once looked. Pathé was an innovative company from the outset and explored far more avenues than the Big Three put together.

Is there a way to get the back-plates re-made out of aluminium, so the soundbox could be restored? I'd definitely be in for buying at least half a dozen new backs if we can find more in this condition to restore. I'm sure there must be many continental collectors who have machines with this problem and would like to get them fixed. Is it worth asking Jalal?
Who are "the Big Three" ?

HMV, Orchorsol and Gilbert maybe ?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:33 pm
Steve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:46 am It's a great pity that pot metal was used otherwise there might be many more useable examples of this great soundbox in existence today. I first saw it in the 1929 Pathé catalogue and instantly wanted a machine with that soundbox on it. I do love the very Art Deco touches but thank you for showing us the internals as it clearly sounded as good as it once looked. Pathé was an innovative company from the outset and explored far more avenues than the Big Three put together.

You comedian, you! :lol: :roll: :?

No, Victor (or HMV), Edison and Columbia!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:49 pm
poodling around wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:33 pm

You comedian, you! :lol: :roll: :?

No, Victor (or HMV), Edison and Columbia!
Ha ha !!! I must admit I made myself laugh when I wrote it !!! :)

Very interesting answer too !