Out of the box, HMV 100

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Out of the box, HMV 100

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:03 am
poodling around wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:16 am
Steve wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:38 am I never mentioned the lid stay!!!!

The carrying handle is a replacement. The one on Ebay shown is very different to yours anyway, but that one is probably also a replacement. Note though how it is a very closely machine-stitched handle with stitching almost to the ends but has different fixing rings to the normal 'D' type? The differences are fairly obvious to me. They are both as different to each other as they are to the standard handle design.
Oh, the snaplock !!!

Here's mine !
Yes, that's the one originally used on the Model 105 and subsequently carried over to the first 100's, although looking at the three of them now lined up together, I notice they are ALL different! Maybe HMV used any old lid catch / fastener available at the time so maybe there was no consistent type used during this transitional period of the 100? It does seem odd as later on, with the 101 and 102, for example, there was much greater consistency even when changes were made.
Woo hooo !!! Thanks steve. Your identification is really appreciated.

Used originally on the 105 - so mine is a blend of old and newer parts. As you say, maybe not much consistency.

poodling around
Victor V

nostalgia wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:41 am I received this portable in the mail today, the short lived HMV 100, the first real compact and "carrying friendly" portable manufactured by the Gramophone Company, and the model heralding the 101, the most successfull machine from the HMV factories, in terms of annual sales. (According to the HMG book).
The machine looks good to my eyes, apart from the lid transfer, that is somewhat torn. I could not find any photos of the machine on the forum since we have lost so many photos, so chose to upload some. It is the first time I have seen it for sale in my area, after five years following and (even vacuum cleaning ) the market here for hard to find gramophones.
Does the machine look all genuine to your trained eyes?
Here is one of the parts I think steve mentioned earlier (from my HMV 100) for you to compare with yours maybe.
Attachments
dsh.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I admit I can't see any difference between the lid lock on my machine and on Barry's machine, after opening the two photos in a photo software program side by side, but of course my eyes can't see everything :mrgreen: . But if there is a difference, I for sure can live with it.
I also can't see a difference on the metal construction connecting the leather strap on the Ebay machine and my own machine, they both look rectangular, but of course they can both have been changed, to a similar rectangular metal part. I can however see that the leather strap looks different on my machine, from the Ebay machine, the leather strap on my machine is not stitched as close to the end of the strap, as on the Ebay machine, at least it looks so on the photos, even if the Ebay photo is blurry.
All this said, I think I can live well with both, since the leather strap is not broken and not torn, and well..and since I can't even see a difference on the lid lock, well then I for sure will not get bothered from it. And if it was replaced in the past, I would for sure not find a genuine lid lock anyway.
Soon, I will look what is under the cover of the machine, I have yet to see what motor is in here, I understand it is a pre 59 motor named a 400 motor in the HMG book.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

And...poodling around, now you really make me scratch my head even more..since I can't see any difference on this metal part you now posted a photo of, and the one found on my machine. To me..it looks also similar to the one found on the Ebay machine?
Attachments
IMG20230604200214.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

nostalgia wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:26 am I admit I can't see any difference between the lid lock on my machine and on Barry's machine, after opening the two photos in a photo software program side by side, but of course my eyes can't see everything :mrgreen: . But if there is a difference, I for sure can live with it.
I also can't see a difference on the metal construction connecting the leather strap on the Ebay machine and my own machine, they both look rectangular, but of course they can both have been changed, to a similar rectangular metal part. I can however see that the leather strap looks different on my machine, from the Ebay machine, the leather strap on my machine is not stitched as close to the end of the strap, as on the Ebay machine, at least it looks so on the photos, even if the Ebay photo is blurry.
All this said, I think I can live well with both, since the leather strap is not broken and not torn, and well..and since I can't even see a difference on the lid lock, well then I for sure will not get bothered from it. And if it was replaced in the past, I would for sure not find a genuine lid lock anyway.
Soon, I will look what is under the cover of the machine, I have yet to see what motor is in here, I understand it is a pre 59 motor named a 400 motor in the HMG book.
I look forward very much to seeing inside your machine !

I have just opened mine and the motor does not have a number on it. Is your motor the same I wonder ? (Photographs below).

Mine has a metal plate with the number 7382 stamped on it. I like to think this number means mine was the 7382nd made - but it is believed that there were fewer than this made ? think it must refer to something specific about my machine as why bother with such a plaque and screws otherwise ? Does yours have such a plate I wonder ? (Located far end of gramophone when motorboard is removed).

I also have two very odd round metal bits which seem to perform no function at all. They are not part of the exterior handle bits, they do not provide additional support for the motor board as none is needed and they look slightly different. Do you have these on your I wonder ?

Very interesting I think !!!

Can't wait to see what you find !!!
Attachments
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
1004.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Excellent purchase! The 100 was historically the first gramophone that I bought, and after so many years I reckon that it was quite a lucky find: it's not a "dream machine", but not frequently found either. Sonically speaking it's nothing to write home about, even restricting to the "portables" cathegory, but it's such a nice machine: it features a full-fledged gooseneck tonearm, and its helicoidal tonearm "elevator" is so ingenious! For these reasons, and also because I'm fond of it being my first adventurous purchase, I think I will never resell it. :rose:

I confirm that also my unit has the same type of round-button-and-hole front latch.

I also tend to believe that the carrying handle may have been replaced, and not to my surprise, as mine failed miserably all of a sudden while carrying the gramophone on the street - quite amazingly the machine proved so sturdy that I couldn't detect the slightest scratch anywhere! :clover: So consider the replacement handle an "improvement". ;)
Last edited by Marco Gilardetti on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Nice to share some photos, poodling around, and thanks for the greeting Marco, and very interesting to know the model 100 was your first machine. :rose:
I will for sure also keep this machine, I have not yet tried it, but it is neat, interesting, and the very start of the big HMV portable manufacture, a herald of what was about to come.
I upload some more photos, also for those who have not seen the interior of this machine. The reflector is unique, something that was soon replaced by an internal horn on the 101, 102 etc.
And the numbering is a good question, as you also ask, poodling around. Since the number on your machine exceeds the manufacture volume for this model, according to the HMG book. My machine has as we can see also a number on it, 4030.
Attachments
IMG20230606111026.jpg
IMG20230606111035.jpg
IMG20230606111118.jpg
IMG20230606111134.jpg
IMG20230606111632.jpg
IMG20230606111801.jpg
IMG20230606112047.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Interesting photos but they do help to partly "explain" the replacement carrying handle etc. Your machine has been obviously tidied up here and there and had a new strap because it has had some obvious use and wear and tear, nothing out of the ordinary or exceptional though for the age. Your interior of lid, horn, motor casing and motor-board all show very obvious signs of use and the latter having been removed quite a number of times over the years for periodic lubrication of gears and governor etc. This is not typical of an unused machine which has been boxed up for the majority of its life.

None of this really matters as it is still in great used condition but I'm not convinced it's an "out of the box" example, sorry to say.

The number 4030 is not significant really as it is simply a case number for use in the factory.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Steve, I now realize I have "abused" the expression, "out of the box". What I was thinking when I wrote that in the subject line, was that I took the photos and started the thread, immediately after removing it from the cardboard box it was shipped in, before even having breakfast after it had arrived. :mrgreen:
When you now wrote, it is not out of the box...I had to google the expression, and had to laugh..it means "new".
That's the pitfall of not being a native English speaker.
Funny though... :lol:
I also can see the machine has been opened, there are also a few minor scratches on the motor board, even if reflections of cleaning away dust also is visible on the photos, since it was, again done before breakfast, this morning. Luckily though, the past owners have cared for it well, and most important..no sign of any rust.

poodling around
Victor V

nostalgia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:36 am Nice to share some photos, poodling around, and thanks for the greeting Marco, and very interesting to know the model 100 was your first machine. :rose:
I will for sure also keep this machine, I have not yet tried it, but it is neat, interesting, and the very start of the big HMV portable manufacture, a herald of what was about to come.
I upload some more photos, also for those who have not seen the interior of this machine. The reflector is unique, something that was soon replaced by an internal horn on the 101, 102 etc.
And the numbering is a good question, as you also ask, poodling around. Since the number on your machine exceeds the manufacture volume for this model, according to the HMG book. My machine has as we can see also a number on it, 4030.
Great to see your photographs !!! Yours does indeed seem very similar to mine. Same motor too. Maybe the earlier HMV 400 motor ?

Really pleased you have a number inside too. The number is a puzzle to me and I think significant. The HMV book mentions (from memory) that some HMV 100's have a black metal plate, some have white numbers and some have none ! It is suggested that the numbers may be serial numbers and although only around 7,000 were sold in the UK there is no mention as to how many were exported abroad, so maybe the numbers are several thousand more ? To resolve this matter we will have to 'think out-side the box' !!!

Very interesting stuff indeed !