Best walnut vaneer polish ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Best walnut vaneer polish ?

Post by poodling around »

I have a 'one off' floor standing, 1920's, very art deco looking, walnut vaneer gramophone which seems to be very dry in places and needs (I guess) 'norishing'. It would be nice to polish it too.

Can anyone recomend a product which would help to preserve the gramophone and polish it ?

Thanks as always for any advice.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Best walnut vaneer polish ?

Post by Steve »

First things first, you can't really "nourish" veneered wood. Do you mean the finish on the veneer has gone dull? If so, any wood wax should liven it up and bring back a shine. If it's a hard coated finish like varnish or shellac, you might need to use something slightly abrasive to cut through the oxidised layer to bring a shine back to it.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:32 am First things first, you can't really "nourish" veneered wood. Do you mean the finish on the veneer has gone dull? If so, any wood wax should liven it up and bring back a shine. If it's a hard coated finish like varnish or shellac, you might need to use something slightly abrasive to cut through the oxidised layer to bring a shine back to it.
Great advice ! Thanks steve. It has gone 'dul' I suppose (as it has been sitting in the corner of the gramophone room for years propping up huge bamboo canes etc etc.

So, I will use Lord sheraton caretaker wood balsam stuff again. It smells great anyway .................. man :)

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

poodling around wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:34 pm 'one off' floor standing, 1920's, very art deco looking
Pictures, or the above is just fancy! ;) :D

poodling around
Victor V

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:14 am
poodling around wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:34 pm 'one off' floor standing, 1920's, very art deco looking
I agree with you 100 % - unfortunately the gramophone is really inaccessible at the moment so can't take any new photographs.

As soon as I clear up the gramophone room I will certainly return to this thread.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:43 am
I agree with you 100 % - unfortunately the gramophone is really inaccessible at the moment so can't take any new photographs.

As soon as I clear up the gramophone room I will certainly return to this thread.
The clock's ticking........

We know where you live! ;) :lol: :lol:

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 pm

Good point.

Two people could clear the room far quicker than one so bring a few bin bags and it should be completed in a couple of years ! :lol:

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:51 pm
Steve wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 pm

Good point.

Two people could clear the room far quicker than one so bring a few bin bags and it should be completed in a couple of years ! :lol:
I don't believe it's that bad, it's not my house! :lol:

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

For what it's worth, I "preserve" old finishes with a hard colored furniture wax applied with the grain with 5 "0" steel wool, rubbing a pad of the wool in the wax to pick up just enough wax to work about a square foot of area at a time. This technique fills and dyes scratches and also colors areas where the finish has faded due to loss of original finish or even mild sun bleaching.

For years I have used the famed and now obsolete Kiwi Bois furniture wax that sets up pretty hard in minutes and polish it with terry-cloth towels, again with the grain of the wood. I let it wait minutes then buff it out. Let it sit for 30 minutes and you might as well use a chisel to remove the dried layer on top. I've always used a color far darker than the original finish.

I saw on the internet a couple of years ago a fellow on this side of the pond who had formulated a colored wax he claimed was as close to the venerable Kiwi product as you could get. If you have interest, send me a pm and I will search for his link to his online store.

Best,
HMVDevotee

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

I am fond of Gibson guitar polish:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/AIGG-910/AIGG-910

I have used it for years on guitars. It is safe for old nitro and varnish finishes. It is safe for modern poly and (cheap) water-based lacquer finishes. I have expanded its use to furniture and pianos as well. It works well on tung oil finishes. It is OK for shellac, too, I think, but I have only ever used it on one shellac finished satin walnut bowl, something I made in junior high school.

I used it on my Aeolian Vocalian tallboy pagoda-top machine when I first got it. The cabinet was very grubby. The guitar polish worked extremely well at lifting grime without lifting finish or stain.

I have a stock of Trewax paste palm wax, which I use on my 1950s oak floors. It is also suitable for furniture.

I also used this on my AV machine, and it brought the cabinet back to a good facsimile of Aeolian's advertised "piano gloss fisnish."

https://www.beaumontproducts.com/Trewax/