Please id this Garrard motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Please id this Garrard motor

Post by poodling around »

Lah Ca wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 am Most interesting ... Thank you.

If you have the original crank for that motor, treasure and protect it. You will not easily find another.

My Garrard 3 has the top and bottom plates that curve out over the large drum gear to protect it, but there is no longer (or never was) an externally mounted plate to protect the governor mechanism.

I am certain from the condition of the lubricants in the machine (not great but not dried up either--no spring clunking) and the screw driver wear on screw heads that the motor was serviced in the distant past. If there ever was the external plate, it was not put back.

Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-39-24.png
Very interesting Lah Ca.

I suppose that it seems that the motors were provided with the 'governor protection plate' if the motor could be accidentally touched when the gramophone is operated. However, I bet some of them were used with other types of gramophone so maybe yours did have one originally.

What you say about the cranks made me smile. I do indeed have cranks for both motors, however the crank for the 'miniature' floor standing 'Perophone' is missing a 'prong' - as you can see with the top one in my photograph below. It works perfectly well though ! Hopefully the remaining 'prong' will not fall off !
Attachments
miss.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Please id this Garrard motor

Post by Curt A »

If you know someone with some machining ability, the entire "prong" could be made and attached in place of the broken one. I once had an uncommon Victrola key that had a bent shaft, making it unusable. A friend cut out the bent section and spliced in a straight piece which was undetectable when finished. He also made a feedscrew longer to fit a machine with a 6" mandrel using a similar method.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife