HMV No:4 Soundbox question.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: HMV No:4 Soundbox question.

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:42 am That is indeed pot metal. Clearly the "guide" I read about is not infallible.
Aha ! Thanks very much indeed for confirming.

That is the good thing about gramophone collecting - there is always something new to learn.

I don't feel so bad about destroying a pot metal No. 4 soundbox now :)

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

It's very easy to swap the inserts from one soundbox to another, I've done it myself when the rubber on a pot-metal back had gone rock hard. I've also seen a couple of instances where a No.4 with the flat rubber insert has been advertised as "brass backed" but the milling round the edge of the back clearly showed that it was pot metal. Naughty!

Barry

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Also be careful with the screws holding the back plates on, I’ve found they can sometimes be really tight and almost welded in. When you try and unscrew them they snap as they’re very thin brass. It’s really annoying to drill them out the brass front bezel.
Some penetrating oil does help to free them up!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

When making the adjustments to the needle bar pivot, this is a good guide: https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vic4sb.htm It's identical to the HMV #4 sound box.

Here are the basic/easy steps explained to me several years ago.
No 4 Sound Box Pivot.jpg
Keep in mind the collar is not threaded and moves in and out. If it seems frozen, apply some penetrating oil to the area. To test for side play, try moving the needle bar in the direction of the pivot screws. If you feel a sideways movement, repeat the above steps, since side play can cause buzzing or blasting. The needle bar should only move in the direction required to track the record's groove.

HTH,
OrthoFan

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The rubber collar can confuse, for I've seen rubber collars of the protruding type being snap cut so they lose the overlapping part and the rest remains inside, resembling the flush type.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:51 am It's very easy to swap the inserts from one soundbox to another, I've done it myself when the rubber on a pot-metal back had gone rock hard. I've also seen a couple of instances where a No.4 with the flat rubber insert has been advertised as "brass backed" but the milling round the edge of the back clearly showed that it was pot metal. Naughty!

Barry
You are almost making me lose faith in humanity there ! :)

Are the brass backed ones entirely solid brass I wonder ?

poodling around
Victor V

leels1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:56 am Also be careful with the screws holding the back plates on, I’ve found they can sometimes be really tight and almost welded in. When you try and unscrew them they snap as they’re very thin brass. It’s really annoying to drill them out the brass front bezel.
Some penetrating oil does help to free them up!
Interesting. Now you mention it, I did notice that the screws were made of brass and therefore a little 'soft'.

Penetrating oil !!! I wish I had thought of that ! I bet that would have been very good to loosen the back.

Great advice, thanks leels1

poodling around
Victor V

OrthoFan wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:36 pm When making the adjustments to the needle bar pivot, this is a good guide: https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vic4sb.htm It's identical to the HMV #4 sound box.

Here are the basic/easy steps explained to me several years ago.

No 4 Sound Box Pivot.jpg

Keep in mind the collar is not threaded and moves in and out. If it seems frozen, apply some penetrating oil to the area. To test for side play, try moving the needle bar in the direction of the pivot screws. If you feel a sideways movement, repeat the above steps, since side play can cause buzzing or blasting. The needle bar should only move in the direction required to track the record's groove.

HTH,
OrthoFan
Very interesting and helpful.

Thank you OrthoFan.

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:46 pm The rubber collar can confuse, for I've seen rubber collars of the protruding type being snap cut so they lose the overlapping part and the rest remains inside, resembling the flush type.
Interesting. Maybe that is what happened to mine many years ago.

I suppose using a needle to scratch the back of the soundbox may be a good test ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Generally the brass backplates are easily detected at the edges where the black painting gets worn and shows the metal below.
Inigo