Please ID This Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Please ID This Phonograph

Post by poodling around »

I don't know very much about phonographs.

It seems to be very small to me - 8 and a quarter inches wide.

There is no lid, horn or sound-box. There was (maybe) a just detectable 'logo. on the front I think - but that is 'long gone'.

The original sound-box must have had a very small circumference 'join' to the tone-arm.

Also, the 'worm gear' weights seem an odd colour - turning white. Does this mean they are made from lead ?

Is the winding key original ?

Thanks for any information some-one can provide about this machine.
Attachments
pw.jpg
pw2.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Please ID This Phonograph

Post by Curt A »

I have never seen this exact machine before, but it originally had a floating reproducer and most likely an aluminum funnel horn, like a similar Pathé. The winding key is most likely original, but who knows. The white "governor" weights are probably lead with white corrosion. It looks like a typical French cylinder machine of that era.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Babillard
Victor Jr

Post by Babillard »

I thing this is German Lucca Cylinder Phonograph (1904), manufactured by Fritz Puppel.
Julien.
Attachments
Lucca Fritz Puppel.jpg
Lucca Fritz Puppel.jpg (11.97 KiB) Viewed 322 times

poodling around
Victor V

Babillard wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:13 am I thing this is German Lucca Cylinder Phonograph (1904), manufactured by Fritz Puppel.
Julien.
Wow !!!!

Thank you so VERY much for identifying it ! Very interesting indeed.

poodling around
Victor V

Babillard wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:13 am I thing this is German Lucca Cylinder Phonograph (1904), manufactured by Fritz Puppel.
Julien.
Oh, do you know if it would be possible to purchase a correct size reproducer for this machine ? Would ebay be 'the best bet' ?

Thank you once again.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Several firms in Berlin were selling phonographs of this type in the early 1900s, and it is very difficult to determine who actually manufactured which ones. I wrote an article about this in For the Record in Spring 20219 (No. 69), and Maxwell Carter wrote a useful follow-up piece in No. 70, with good photos of the reproducers. The key is certainly typical of several. The feature of the Lucca was an unusual horn arrangement, a cross between a Puck and the Pathé Systeme Verite.

poodling around
Victor V

Oedipus wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:07 pm Several firms in Berlin were selling phonographs of this type in the early 1900s, and it is very difficult to determine who actually manufactured which ones. I wrote an article about this in For the Record in Spring 20219 (No. 69), and Maxwell Carter wrote a useful follow-up piece in No. 70, with good photos of the reproducers. The key is certainly typical of several. The feature of the Lucca was an unusual horn arrangement, a cross between a Puck and the Pathé Systeme Verite.
Very interesting indeed.

I know that some auction houses are not considered to be as 'accurate' as others (describing 'crapophones as 'HMV' etc) but I have found an auction website with the identical phonograph as the one I have which shows that at least once it was identified as a Lucca. It has provenence as well - maybe Dr. Richard Pope was renowned for saying to all and any of his visitors as soon as they stepped through his door "Would you care to see my Lucca old bean(s)" .....ha ha ! In all seriousness though, this item does come from his 'lifetime collection of clocks, phonographs and music boxes' so perhaps this one being a Lucca was well documented.

https://www.lotsearch.net/auction-catal ... time-85413

Anyway, I am also really pleased that I can see exactly what the machine lid, reproducer and horn would have looked like.

I will research away happily !

Thanks again Oedipus.

https://www.cottoneauctions.com/lots/63 ... hona-lucca
Attachments
lucca1.jpg

Babillard
Victor Jr

Post by Babillard »

Here is the recorder at the bottom of this page of my site :
https://www.phonorama.fr/reproducteurs-divers-p4.html
Julien.