Special / Unusual HMV 101 ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: Special / Unusual HMV 101 ?

Post by Dulcetto »

poodling around wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:38 pm Well, it's good to know that I didn't miss anything.

Thanks 'everyone' for confirming.

It still seems very odd, oh well ..................
Well , ok I agree the gramophone sold for an unusually high price, but consider this >> most collectable items offered for sale ( by auction ) have an expected price range , at least by those who watch the market , or have sold or bought several of the said items over a period of time , allowing for fluctuations in price due to condition, time of year ( people often have other things to do at certain times of year ) , variations from standard model etc.
A few years ago I noticed two Edison Standard phonographs for sale by auction in UK in the same week . Now as most of us know , Edison Standards are
fairly plentiful and turn up all the time IF one keeps an eye out in the right places , but of course not everyone is a collector and not everyone knows where to look so to speak. So -- one Standard was listed on ebay , but had poor online photos , was listed as collection only ( no shipping ) , located right out on the east coast so for many prospective buyers a long journey to get to , and the seller seemed to have little knowledge of the likely selling price range , as the listing was posted at 99p to start -- I imagine the seller assumed the item " would find its own price ". The other Standard was in a public auction in Worcestershire , and had a box of cylinder records with it , but from the online pictures , there looked to be nothing special in the cylinders . The machine itself was in good condition , but I can't remember if either machines had horns or not, Oh , and I forgot to say , both were Model A Standards -- the ones that mostly turn up. so what did we expect they would sell for ? at the time , the " going rate" for a Standard was around £300. The one on the east coast sold for £40
and the other sold for £600. On another occasion , again a few years ago I witnessed the sale of a large upright penny in slot Polyphon at auction
in Berkshire. At the time the general value was around £3000 - 5000 ( market prices for Polyphons of this model have declined since then ).
It sold for just under £15,000 , hammer price. Why ? well to answer that , as a dealer friend of mine said " You only need two idiots "
( ok idiots that have more money then sense ). That's it ! Its only money , and if you want something...............

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

I sold an electrola 106 (same as HMV 101) on ebay recently and only got $40 for it! It did need some work. I have to say I was impressed with how well it was made. The parts felt a little better machined than my late model HMV 102, but perhaps that is how the HMV 101 are as well. I kind of regret selling it

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

Jeb98 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:58 am I sold an electrola 106 (same as HMV 101)
Electrola 101 is same as HMV 101. 106 is a completely different series of machines.