Please id this sound-box logo / trade-mark

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Please id this sound-box logo / trade-mark

Post by poodling around »

Could this be a parlophone trade-mark / logo ? Or something else ?

Also, what is the difference between 'Parlophone' and 'Parlophon' ? Are they the same company using the name 'Parlophon' for items made / sold in Germany ?

Thanks as always for any help you can give.
Attachments
whattt.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Please id this sound-box logo / trade-mark

Post by epigramophone »

Parlophon was founded in Germany by Carl Lindstrom c.1896, and the name was used on gramophones before the company began manufacturing their own records.

When the British branch was established in 1923 the name was anglicised as Parlophone. What looks like a "£" sign on the labels is in fact a stylised "L", denoting that the records were a Lindstrom product. In 1926 UK Parlophone was acquired by Columbia.

I cannot positively identify the logo in your picture, but our European members might be able to help. When turned the right way up, I am reminded of the Golliwog trademark of Robertson's jams and marmalade. If you collected enough Golliwog labels you could send off for an enamel badge. Are we allowed to say Golliwog these days? Too late, I just did :shock: . No offence intended.
Attachments
robertsons.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Oh, I have just taken a photograph of the 'logo' on one of my 'parlophone' gramophones - which I intended to use for a new avatar on here - when I noticed it said 'Warranted best German manufacture'. In writing far too small for me to have noticed otherwise.

So, I guess 'Parlophone' (with an 'e') was made in Germany for export to the UK ?
Attachments
parl.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Parlophone records with an "e" were pressed at their British factory, the Mead Works in Hertford.
After Columbia acquired Parlophone in 1926, the factory was sold to Metropole in 1928.
Last edited by epigramophone on Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In Spain they also were Parlophon, made in a factory erected in Mataró, Catalonia. Active as an independent label from 1926 to 1935 or so, only. Parlophon and Odeon were gradually overtaken by Gramófono (EMI branch) from 1933 and they seem to have closed all factories except the main one by 1935.... Don't know, but probably it was the same old Odeon factory. I've seen matrices crossed over from one to the other label...
Inigo