Rube Goldberg attacks Edison C reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sidewinder
Victor III

Rube Goldberg attacks Edison C reproducer

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks at quite a clever way to electrify an Edison reproducer, by screwing an electric cartridge to a C and directly linking the electric stylis to the Edison stylus. I presumed it works. Cannot make out the name, just see Made in England on the electric pickup !!
Attachments
ec1.jpg
ec8.jpg
ec9.jpg
ec11.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Rube Goldberg attacks Edison C reproducer

Post by Inigo »

Very clever. There had been other adaptations like this one...
Inigo

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Clever, indeed, but a bit of a Frankenstein creation - and....... we all like horns...don't we? ;)

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 pm Cannot make out the name, just see Made in England on the electric pickup !!
It's a BSR TC8. I'm guessing the cantilever must be bonded to the cantilever's yoke somehow, otherwise it wouldn't work properly unless around 8 grams were applied, equivalent to the cartridge's tracking force.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Thanks for all the interesting info!

if one looks at the last picture, there is a thin wire/thread that connects the end of the BSR stylus to the Edison Stylus - there is no diaphragm in the edison.

very frankenstein, and I'm sure fiddly to get the trension correct!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Having gotten his hand in attacking a Model C, Rube proceeded to get up to date by going after a Diamond B:
Diamond B.jpg
Diamond B 2.jpg
Diamond B 3.jpg
These are from a current eBay listing under the following head: EDISON PHONOGRAPH AMBEROLA DIAMOND MODEL B REPRODUCER OPERA , BI , III +

The description: This is an antique Addison reproducer it has number 7689 stamped on the top. It appears the previous owner attempted to convert this reproducer with electronics on the top. It has not been tested and I have no further information about its functionality it includes a box shown in the photos feel free to ask me any questions

The comment from me: Yeah, right, "not tested" and "no further information"--come on, guy, it's obvious this thing is not functional as it stands, if it ever was. Don't be coy/deliberately obtuse. I'll refrain from remarking on "Addison." That said, it's interesting how people "back then" were trying home brew remedies to keep cylinders playable in the electronic age.

Considering its highly reasonable "buy it now" price of $750, I'm sure we'll have a stampede of interested would-be buyers from the TMF now that they're aware of it.