Horns!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
An Balores
Victor I

Horns!

Post by An Balores »

We all love horns - don't we? I have several copies of "The Gramophone Critic, Incorporating the Radio and Music Critic" from 1930. Here is an advert for various horns. I am particularly intrigued by number 827, which has three horns at 90 degrees to each other so the sound would emanate from the front and two sides of the cabinet!
2023-12-17 11.05.52.jpg
I'm thinking these were aimed at the DIY enthusiast - indeed, the magazines contain a series of articles on "The Construction, Maintenance and Repair of the Modern Gramophone" with instructions on cabinet building, tonearms, soundboxes and horns (it recommends the 'Utah' exponential horn with a 91" air column). There are many adverts for machines and soundboxes I have never heard of. An interesting article on fibre needles is headed "A Fibrist Discourses", and there are many others on tracking, reproduction etc. It seems quite a debate raged back then over the relative merits of fibre v. steel needles, the subject crops up a lot. There are also record reviews, crossword puzzles, jokes and more light-hearted articles, such as "Should a Gramophile Marry?" (The answer is, of course, no :lol: )

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Horns!

Post by CarlosV »

Very interesting! Some of the horns shown are similar to these used in Columbia cabinet machines, the one on top left seems a copy of the saxophone horn used by HMV, others are designed for portables, and some are quite weird, like the three-sided you point out. I have a German machine that plays on all four sides, but it does not have such type of horn, it is a simple scheme with wood deflectors in front of a single internal horn that redirect the sound to the four sides.

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Yes, 825/6 is very similar to the horn in my Columbia Viva-tonal Grafonola 153a. Imagine it being your job to come up with all these varying designs (some of them are quite bizarre - 817 reminds me of a caterpillar)!
Here is another curiosity from the same magazine:
2023-12-17 11.03.55.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I wonder if anyone else here has ever seen the prototype HMV (mahogany cabinet) gramophone fitted with a pair of Waveola saxophone horns of differing length and diameter? It was styled similar to a 163 but pre-dated that model by a couple of years, I'd think. I wish I knew where that went as it would have been an instant purchase for me!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Some years ago when he was living near Witney, Nigel Phillips aka "The Squire" had a prototype HMV cabinet machine with two long thin horns. Alastair Murray and I saw it when we were there to collect Alastair's first Micro-Perophone Chromogram. I wish we had photographed it.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 am Some years ago when he was living near Witney, Nigel Phillips aka "The Squire" had a prototype HMV cabinet machine with two long thin horns. Alastair Murray and I saw it when we were there to collect Alastair's first Micro-Perophone Chromogram. I wish we had photographed it.
That is the very same one I saw! Has Nigel still got it, I wonder?