HMV 102's with metal motor-boards question

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

HMV 102's with metal motor-boards question

Post by poodling around »

So, I was sitting in my (complete mess of a) gramophone room and wondered about some-thing.

I have two early model HMV 102's with metal motor-boards. One is 'wood grained' for a black 102 and the other is red .... for a red one.

I don't think I have ever seen any other colours - like green or blue with metal 'boards'.

So, I wonder, were there early HMV 102's with metal motor boards other than the wood grain or red colour ?

Thanks as always for any information about this.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV 102's with metal motor-boards question

Post by Phono48 »

I've got a grey 102 with a metal motor board.

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My Red Leather 102 and my "La Voix de son Maitre" Blue 102 both have metal motor boards.
To the best of my knowledge, the full colour range was available from the start of production in 1931, so all the earliest versions would have had metal motor boards and No.16 soundboxes.

Roger.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:47 pm So, I was sitting in my (complete mess of a) gramophone room and wondered about some-thing.

I have two early model HMV 102's with metal motor-boards. One is 'wood grained' for a black 102 and the other is red .... for a red one.

I don't think I have ever seen any other colours - like green or blue with metal 'boards'.

So, I wonder, were there early HMV 102's with metal motor boards other than the wood grain or red colour ?

Yes, every colour was available with metal motorboards. I own a brown, grey, red leather and several black versions with metal type but I've variously owned or seen countless blue, red and green leathercloth versions too.

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Is it the earlier 102's that have (or are more likely to have - I'm thinking about the 1930's depression) metal motorboards? Mine has a leathercloth motorboard and dates from 1939.....

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:11 pm I've got a grey 102 with a metal motor board.

Barry
I hadn't even thought of the colour grey ! That sounds very interesting indeed. I guess the motor-board is grey too.

Great item !

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:27 am My Red Leather 102 and my "La Voix de son Maitre" Blue 102 both have metal motor boards.
To the best of my knowledge, the full colour range was available from the start of production in 1931, so all the earliest versions would have had metal motor boards and No.16 soundboxes.

Roger.
Thank you for confirming epigramophone.

Very interesting that those destined for 'the European market' had metal motor-boards as well.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:52 am
poodling around wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:47 pm So, I was sitting in my (complete mess of a) gramophone room and wondered about some-thing.

Yes, every colour was available with metal motorboards. I own a brown, grey, red leather and several black versions with metal type but I've variously owned or seen countless blue, red and green leathercloth versions too.
A brown one too ! I am obviously not looking (or noticing) these other colours.

I do like the metal motor-boards. I don't know why - maybe simply because they indicate early 102's.

Thanks as always steve.

poodling around
Victor V

An Balores wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:24 am Is it the earlier 102's that have (or are more likely to have - I'm thinking about the 1930's depression) metal motorboards? Mine has a leathercloth motorboard and dates from 1939.....
I am no expert but I think that you are correct, only the early one's had metal motor-boards. I don't know the production dates though.

I wonder why they were changed to wooden motor-boards later though as I would have thought that the metal one's were cheaper to produce ? Maybe to accomodate newly introduced motors ?

HMV 102's are very good I think and it is good to know that you have one in your collection.

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

poodling around wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:56 am
An Balores wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:24 am Is it the earlier 102's that have (or are more likely to have - I'm thinking about the 1930's depression) metal motorboards? Mine has a leathercloth motorboard and dates from 1939.....
I am no expert but I think that you are correct, only the early one's had metal motor-boards. I don't know the production dates though.

I wonder why they were changed to wooden motor-boards later though as I would have thought that the metal one's were cheaper to produce ? Maybe to accomodate newly introduced motors ?

HMV 102's are very good I think and it is good to know that you have one in your collection.
I'm no expert either but I'm thinking that the metal ones were as a result of early 30's austerity and the more expensive wood boards covered with leathercloth/rexine were introduced as the economy picked up?
Yes, I do like my blue 102. I have had it since 1972 when my parents gave it to me for Christmas. It is in very good condition. My mum picked it up in a local jumble sale for the princely sum of £1!