Which Brand is That?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Which Brand is That?

Post by CarlosV »

I bought a small tabletop that has no obvious brand inscribed. As the photos show, it has a small circle on the spindle, that instead of showing the brand has a license number. The arm, shown in the second photo, has a number and a symbol of a bird that resembles a flamingo. I have seen this symbol before, but I do not recall exactly the origin - my guess is German, but I may be wrong. No identification on the motor neither, and it came without a soundbox, I added a German one that fits well, which compounds to my suspicion about it being German. Any guesses?
Attachments
20240118_144429.jpg
20240118_144418.jpg
20240118_144344.jpg
20240118_144331.jpg

Oedipus
Victor II

Re: Which Brand is That?

Post by Oedipus »

The flamingo is found on Beka records (Bumb & Koenig)

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Oedipus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:44 am The flamingo is found on Beka records (Bumb & Koenig)
Thanks, I knew I had seen that before. What I never saw is a Beka gramophone, maybe the parent company produced gramophone parts.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

CarlosV wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:18 pm
Oedipus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:44 am The flamingo is found on Beka records (Bumb & Koenig)
Thanks, I knew I had seen that before. What I never saw is a Beka gramophone, maybe the parent company produced gramophone parts.
There are one ot two threads on here about this. I think that epigramophone has mentioned that Beka also sold parts to other manufacturers so there is no guarentee a whole gramophone is made by Beka.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43187&p=254587&hil ... go#p254587

Some-what ironically, I started a similar thread about a gramophone I own some time ago ..... and because the photographs have 'gone' I can't remember which one it is !

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36053&p=215341&hil ... go#p215341

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Thanks, Poodling, too bad the photos are gone, we could check them against the one I posted. But it seems that it is confirmed to be a Beka, or at least, a machine made with Beka parts.

poodling around
Victor V

CarlosV wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:57 pm Thanks, Poodling, too bad the photos are gone, we could check them against the one I posted. But it seems that it is confirmed to be a Beka, or at least, a machine made with Beka parts.
I had a look around last night and found the gramophone !

Mine is a table top - quite a large one compared to my others. I remember that it has a two spring motor.

It only has the flamingo etching though - no numbers like yours has.

Oh, it came with the 'Saturn' type sound-box - mine has no 'Saturn' brand name though.

Here are a few photographs:
Attachments
bek.jpg
bek2.jpg
bek3.jpg

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

[/quote]

[/quote]

You got so many gramophones you don't know where they all are?? Wow, that must be some collection! :shock:

poodling around
Victor V

An Balores wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:33 am
[/quote]

You got so many gramophones you don't know where they all are?? Wow, that must be some collection! :shock:
[/quote]

Ha ha !!!

I do indeed have what I think is a high number of gramophones.

I know where they all are it's just I couldn't remember which one had the flaminco 'logo' on it.

Happy days An Balores !

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Ah, I see...happy days, indeed! 8-)