What does this do ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

What does this do ?

Post by poodling around »

I came across this and can't figure out what it's purpose is.

It has a round top part which presumably slots into a round sound-box needle holder.

However, the bottom part is also round - so what is the point ?

I suppose it might slot into a soundbox with a triangular needle holder to convert it to a round one but triangular ones seem to work just fine with round needles ?

It is very large too - probably larger than the largest EMG sound-box needle holding part.

So, any explanation / ideas are very welcome.

Thank you as always.
Attachments
poi2.jpg

Lah Ca
Victor III

Re: What does this do ?

Post by Lah Ca »

I don't know what it is, but it seems quite obviously to be an adaptor of some sort.

What size is the chuck on it? What is the largest diameter it will accept? And is it larger than the shaft?

If the chuck opens larger than the shaft, it may be an adaptor for very loud tone needles or larger thorn or cactus needles. Some cactus needles I need to sand down to have them fit the chuck on my Aeolian Vocalion machine.

Just a guess.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It could be a device to add that mass to the needle, so it changes the sound of too harsh soundboxes. I've seen it somewhere before... don't remember where.
Inigo

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Maybe this, or something similar?
20240129_234619~2.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

mrrgstuff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 pm Maybe this, or something similar?20240129_234619~2.jpg
Exactly my thought, and I happened to have some lying around (but no tin to hand):
Attachments
IMG_5926.JPG
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

It is made to reduce the volume of very loud records. I have one I bought from Alex Kirtley, and it does attenuate a bit really loud discs that I otherwise wouldn't be able to play.
poodling around wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:31 pm I came across this and can't figure out what it's purpose is.

It has a round top part which presumably slots into a round sound-box needle holder.

However, the bottom part is also round - so what is the point ?

I suppose it might slot into a soundbox with a triangular needle holder to convert it to a round one but triangular ones seem to work just fine with round needles ?

It is very large too - probably larger than the largest EMG sound-box needle holding part.

So, any explanation / ideas are very welcome.

Thank you as always.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Thanks BassetHoundTrio, yes of course, I remember those now! The Edison Bell attachment has some visual similarity but is entirely different.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

Lah Ca wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:56 pm I don't know what it is, but it seems quite obviously to be an adaptor of some sort.

What size is the chuck on it? What is the largest diameter it will accept? And is it larger than the shaft?

If the chuck opens larger than the shaft, it may be an adaptor for very loud tone needles or larger thorn or cactus needles. Some cactus needles I need to sand down to have them fit the chuck on my Aeolian Vocalion machine.

Just a guess.
Very interesting. Thanks Lah Ca.

I can't measure the diameters but the chick seems smaller than the shaft.

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:24 pm It could be a device to add that mass to the needle, so it changes the sound of too harsh soundboxes. I've seen it somewhere before... don't remember where.
Maybe. Thanks Inigo.

It is odd to use though as the sound-box has to be re-adjusted to meet the centre of the motor-board and then the needle works at an incorrect angle.

Also, to say it looks ungainly is an understatement !

poodling around
Victor V

Thank you also for noting the similarity to the 'sympathetic' device.

I think as Orchorsol has mentioned that although it seems similar it is quite different.

It seems to be made from brass maybe.

Here are some photographs I took this morning showing how large it is:
Attachments
ad.jpg
ad2.jpg
ad3.jpg