Odeon System Vadesz Bauhaus Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Odeon System Vadesz Bauhaus Gramophone

Post by CarlosV »

flying500 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:45 pm
However it does not appear to utilise any Columbia parts.
Yes, that's correct. All parts of the Vadasz Odeon are unique, including the soundbox, which inherits the design of previous Odeon/Parlophon soundboxes, including the lettering on the circumference.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

It strikes me that the little spring causes the record spindle to retreat down into the turntable once a record is placed. But then it pops back up once the hole in the record finds the spindle. Thus saving wear and tear on the record label.

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

That works but why go to the extra effort and production cost tosave wear to the label. I am not aware of another machine with such a feature.
I had thought that it could be used in conjunction with the sprung plate in the lid to hold a few records in the lid. I assume that records are held against the sprung plate when the lid is closed.
A solid spindle would reduce the storage capacity by 2 to 3 records and provide a flat surface less likely to damage the chrome plate. Just a thought!
I would also imagine that,as with most manufactures of the day, any such 'inovation' would be advertised in any promotional material?

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

flying500 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:54 am That works but why go to the extra effort and production cost tosave wear to the label. I am not aware of another machine with such a feature.
I had thought that it could be used in conjunction with the sprung plate in the lid to hold a few records in the lid. I assume that records are held against the sprung plate when the lid is closed.
A solid spindle would reduce the storage capacity by 2 to 3 records and provide a flat surface less likely to damage the chrome plate. Just a thought!
I would also imagine that,as with most manufactures of the day, any such 'inovation' would be advertised in any promotional material?
I do agree!
Thanks for the Odeon reproducer pics. The lettering is mostly gone on mine but it appears that my "no name" reproducer is in fact the Odeon one :D :D