102 governor waaaaayout out, how to adjust?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
leels1
Victor I

Re: 102 governor waaaaayout out, how to adjust?

Post by leels1 »

Might need a longer felt pad against the governor wheel. That should slow down properly.

Unless you get it to 90rpm and use it for Pathé 😀

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

Well I found the problem, and I think a bad day at HMV was to blame!

I tried swapping the motor out a couple of times for different ones (same motor model) and none of them would fit without completely jamming up the speed controller! It seems that HMV drilled the holes for the motor bolts in slightly the wrong place, fouling the usual position of the speed arm... their solution was to bend the bracket that holds the speed arm (usually at 90 degrees and formed from the same sheet as the top plate of the motor, mine is more like 95 degrees with a kink in it) so the arm is at a slight sideways angle to meet the hole in the motor board.

Its not something that could be modified like this without extreme force, and only during assembly...and is 100% essential for any motor to work with this badly drilled motor board so I'm confident this is a factory "tweak". Without this additional bending no motor could turn at all in this machine... as I discovered over hours of fitting others :lol:

The upshot however is that at the other end of the arm the pad is only half on the disc and has, over many years, worn away on one side! It would originally have passed HMVs speed test as it left the factory, but has got faster and faster over the decades as it wore away the side of the pad.

My solution was to match HMV and just bend the other end of the arm too, bring the pad back to being fully in contact with the disc.

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

Still needs some fine tuning, but its now working correctly now the unworn half of the pad is touching the disc.

Next up I need to service the auto brake as its not working correctly, causing the whole turntable to jump up as it fails to stop it.

Sounding good though, and my first wartime machine! (depending on which bit of 1939 it was made).

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Good job! Nice looking machine. :D :D :D