What's this?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: What's this?

Post by poodling around »

I suddenly remembered that I have an item which is different but may (or may not) provide a similar function !

So maybe 'epigramophone's item' in effect mutes the sound ?

Here it is and a link which talks a bit more about it :

[urlhttps://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sanders- ... 1955330763][/url]

Mine seems to have a misprint / stamping stating the addess is '71 to 12' The Strand :D
Attachments
meltone.jpg
meltone2.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

OrthoFan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:41 pm I swear I've seen something like that before. It's used to clip folders or bundles of paper together--a type of paperclip. You slide the papers between the half-round front plate and the two protruding prongs in the back. I tried doing an image search, and found a few similar items, but nothing identical.

If that's what it is, it's possible somebody rammed it between the needle bar and diaphragm to enhance or dampen sound quality.

OrthoFan
A very interesting thought.

I had a quick search and maybe a 'money clip' ?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

OrthoFan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:41 pm I swear I've seen something like that before. It's used to clip folders or bundles of paper together--a type of paperclip. You slide the papers between the half-round front plate and the two protruding prongs in the back. I tried doing an image search, and found a few similar items, but nothing identical.

If that's what it is, it's possible somebody rammed it between the needle bar and diaphragm to enhance or dampen sound quality.

OrthoFan
Really? A paperclip! How terribly disappointing.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

If this device presses the diaphragm supported against the needlebar, as it seems to do, the effects would be a) to add to the diaphragm mass, and b) to communicate the needlebar vibration over a larger diaphragm area. I'm sure both effects change the sound somehow.
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Inigo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:48 pm I'm sure both effects change the sound somehow.
It sure does, but I would say it would be very naive to expect that such an abrupt change in mass would change the sound in a positive way.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:40 am
Inigo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:48 pm I'm sure both effects change the sound somehow.
It sure does, but I would say it would be very naive to expect that such an abrupt change in mass would change the sound in a positive way.
This precisely!!!

Don't do it, I say. I've seen these before and all they manage to achieve is to make the soundboxes sound terrible! Stupid idea. I've found 3 different variations on these over the years and they've all ended up in my recycling bin.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The no4 needs nothing to sound good. It has a limited range when compared with aluminium diaphragm orthophonic soundboxes, but I'm tempted to say that, among mica soundboxes, it is one of the best.
Inigo

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Steve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 am I've found 3 different variations on these over the years and they've all ended up in my recycling bin.
Recycling bin? Too bad!

A collection of these would make a good basis for a short article or video demonstration.

It's not all EMG/Expert, HMV, and Victrola Orthophonic. History is always the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Lah Ca wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:46 am
Steve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 am I've found 3 different variations on these over the years and they've all ended up in my recycling bin.
Recycling bin? Too bad!

A collection of these would make a good basis for a short article or video demonstration.

It's not all EMG/Expert, HMV, and Victrola Orthophonic. History is always the good, the bad, and the ugly.
True, but in much the same way as few people would wish to expound the virtues of the Austin Allegro (were there any?), I don't believe these "devices" merit much consideration at all to be honest. :D

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Always Morris Minors for me, Steve! :D