What's this?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

What's this?

Post by epigramophone »

I assume that this attachment on the HMV No.4 soundbox is some sort of damping device. I have never seen one before :
Attachments
4f.jpg
4r.jpg

An Balores
Victor I

Re: What's this?

Post by An Balores »

How does it sound?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:01 am I assume that this attachment on the HMV No.4 soundbox is some sort of damping device. I have never seen one before :
Very interesting indeed. It looks like very good quality metal.

How is it actually attached to the mica / sound- box I wonder ?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Interesting indeed and it looks well made for purpose. I wonder if it dampens or is supposed to act like a spider. The absence of legs suggests not.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

An Balores wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:06 am How does it sound?
I don't know, but I am considering buying it as a curio.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Most curious.

The resolution of the photo and the angle from which it was taken don't allow a clear view of the mechanics, if any, between the needle bar and the device.

Does the needle bar rest tightly against the ridge of the device, like a string over a musical instrument bridge, and help hold it in place thus causing the device to become a mechanical extension of the bar, or is the bar entirely free of the device? Hard to tell.
2024-03-10 07.46.52 forum.talkingmachine.info 2d6cb5386e8f.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Lah Ca wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:53 am Most curious.

The resolution of the photo and the angle from which it was taken don't allow a clear view of the mechanics, if any, between the needle bar and the device.

Does the needle bar rest tightly against the ridge of the device, like a string over a musical instrument bridge, and help hold it in place thus causing the device to become a mechanical extension of the bar, or is the bar entirely free of the device? Hard to tell.

2024-03-10 07.46.52 forum.talkingmachine.info 2d6cb5386e8f.jpg
It appears to me to be the former therefore it is held by pressure against the stylus bar. It could just be the light but is the hemispherical part made of mica with the central part (the pressure clip) made of metal?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Oh, it simply attaches with a spring / tension type action between the mica and the needle bar I think !

Very clever design.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

jamiegramo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:06 pm It could just be the light but is the hemispherical part made of mica with the central part (the pressure clip) made of metal?
It appears that there is a small pool of something like silver solder next to the bottom right of the device. If there is, then the plate must be metal.

If the device is only held in place by tension against the needle bar (and gravity), then presumably it could be moved carefully up towards the centre of the diaphragm so that it could be removed.

But at this point this all is just enjoyable speculation.

I hope that epigramophone buys it, so that we get an informed hands-on report.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I swear I've seen something like that before. It's used to clip folders or bundles of paper together--a type of paperclip. You slide the papers between the half-round front plate and the two protruding prongs in the back. I tried doing an image search, and found a few similar items, but nothing identical.

If that's what it is, it's possible somebody rammed it between the needle bar and diaphragm to enhance or dampen sound quality.

OrthoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.