Hmv gramophone identify

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
fghr111
Victor Jr

Re: Hmv gramophone identify

Post by fghr111 »

poodling around wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:42 am
fghr111 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am I have another gramophone bought from flee market. It was an instinct bought as it was was extremely cheap

The issue with this one is that the pin is not staying as it should be on the disk.

Please help me identify this model and als o if you have any suggestions what should I do to fix the problem with the pin/sound box

thank you and regards

P.S

these pictures were taken by me :)

I may have missed it but I can't see a photograph of the brake. (I think I can see the needle holder and speed control only at the front ?).

Is it possible to upload a photo of the brake please I wonder >
These are the pictures of the brake.
Thank you
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 19.45.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 19.45.20.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 19.45.20 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 19.45.20 (2).jpeg

fghr111
Victor Jr

Post by fghr111 »

Sherazhyder wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 am
fghr111 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am Hello all

I found this gramophone at an antique shop. Lately I developed a passion for old gramophones, so owning an old HMV is nice.

The seller told me that all the pieces are original, I dont know to say, particularly about the motor which has Columbia engraved on it.
Hi! I agree with Steve. The two motor boards in your pictures are not identical. If you look closely you will notice that both have different colours, different type of surfaces and structures. The one with a motor on it does not belong to the gramophone in pictures. I think someone has messed up pictures from two different gramophones. Why don’t you first ask the seller about it ? He might clarify it to you. Who knows the machine might have the correct motor and the seller might be willing to lower his price. If you get a response and correct pictures, then again ask forbthe advice of the experts here. I know for sure Steve is one of the knowledgeable and sympathetic persons here and can give you a more accurate and informed opinion.
Sheraz
Yes, I have talked again with the seller regarding the motor issue. He admitted that the motor is from a portable gramophone, however all the pictures are from the same piece.. From what I ve read about gramophones the wood horn is kind of rare and that why I was attracted by this model, on the top of it it sounds very well and the mechanism seemed to work flawless.. Anyway I said pass even if he lowered the price to 800 euro, and I am still browsing internet for a wooden horn gramophone in a better shape and will all original components

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

fghr111 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 pm
Sherazhyder wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 am
fghr111 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am Hello all

I found this gramophone at an antique shop. Lately I developed a passion for old gramophones, so owning an old HMV is nice.

The seller told me that all the pieces are original, I dont know to say, particularly about the motor which has Columbia engraved on it.
Hi! I agree with Steve. The two motor boards in your pictures are not identical. If you look closely you will notice that both have different colours, different type of surfaces and structures. The one with a motor on it does not belong to the gramophone in pictures. I think someone has messed up pictures from two different gramophones. Why don’t you first ask the seller about it ? He might clarify it to you. Who knows the machine might have the correct motor and the seller might be willing to lower his price. If you get a response and correct pictures, then again ask forbthe advice of the experts here. I know for sure Steve is one of the knowledgeable and sympathetic persons here and can give you a more accurate and informed opinion.
Sheraz
Yes, I have talked again with the seller regarding the motor issue. He admitted that the motor is from a portable gramophone, however all the pictures are from the same piece.. From what I ve read about gramophones the wood horn is kind of rare and that why I was attracted by this model, on the top of it it sounds very well and the mechanism seemed to work flawless.. Anyway I said pass even if he lowered the price to 800 euro, and I am still browsing internet for a wooden horn gramophone in a better shape and will all original components
Colour me baffled! So are you saying that although the motor is definitely from a portable (no surprise really as we all already rightly guessed that) gramophone, the seller has said it is what is inside the Intermediate Monarch base?

Something is very odd here as the base appears to be correct with the right motor in at least one picture and the Columbia motor / board does not appear to relate to it at all? If it has its original motor it is very good price at 800 Euros on the continent. If not, its not!

Either way I'm not sure I'd trust the seller's reliability in dealing with this when buying "blind".

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

From the pictures and video, I would judge this machine to be original with the correct motor (shown working in the video). For 800 Euros, it's a bargain with the wood horn, which can be restored. It would be extremely lucky to find another one for 1000, since the horn is the major part of the value... Ignore the extra Columbia motor, which is not installed.

And the DECCA portable looks good too.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 5.55.48 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Deleted
Last edited by Curt A on Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The supposed needle (not pin) problem with the DECCA is difficult to determine, since you have posted several irrelevant pictures of the tonearm. You need to show us what you think the problem is, with close up photos of the reproducer, needle bar and chuck (the part that holds the needle with a thumb screw). Then explain exactly what happens...

My Wife

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

fghr111 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am I have another gramophone bought from flee market. It was an instinct bought as it was was extremely cheap

The issue with this one is that the pin is not staying as it should be on the disk.

Please help me identify this model and als o if you have any suggestions what should I do to fix the problem with the pin/sound box
Hi ! What you are referring to as a pin is a needle on sound box. If you are trying to play it in the position as appears in the picture, it will never work.

Correct position of a sound box is very important as the needle tracks in a record groove to produce vibrations through a metal arm (stylus-bar) attached to a diaphragm inside the sound-box.

First adjust the position of the sound box by vertically straightening it, then rotate it clockwise until there is approximately 60° degrees between the record surface and the needle. This will at least make the needle accurately move in the grooves.

Cheers
Sheraz

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Regards the Decca, I am not familiar with these 'telesmatic' sound boxes, but it looks like the rubber collar has perished, leading the sound box to droop out of position. I am guessing that the rubber should be much firmer. Careful examination of the fitting may reveal more clues............

fghr111
Victor Jr

Post by fghr111 »

Yes indeed, that rubber collar has been pressed somehow in a wrong position, stored like that for years and years. When I immersed it in warm water, the rubber became more flexible, but in the end teared apart in many pieces... I talk to someone who owns a 3d printer and he told me that he can manufacture a new one from plastic.

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

fghr111 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:56 am Yes indeed, that rubber collar has been pressed somehow in a wrong position, stored like that for years and years. When I immersed it in warm water, the rubber became more flexible, but in the end teared apart in many pieces... I talk to someone who owns a 3d printer and he told me that he can manufacture a new one from plastic.
I think the point of these is that the fitting is rubber so it’s not rigid fitting to the tone arm. A suitably sized piece of rubber should work rather than plastic. Try a thick rubber doorstop, drilled out to the correct dimensions. I’ve done that in the past which worked ok.