HMV floor model identification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: HMV floor model identification

Post by poodling around »

Can anyone up-load the HMG book photos of the supposed HMV 11 and 12 so I can see what they look like I wonder ?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

poodling around wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:22 am Can anyone up-load the HMG book photos of the supposed HMV 11 and 12 so I can see what they look like I wonder ?
They are copyright. Buy the book. Although out of print, copies regularly turn up on eBay.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:25 am
poodling around wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:22 am Can anyone up-load the HMG book photos of the supposed HMV 11 and 12 so I can see what they look like I wonder ?
They are copyright. Buy the book. Although out of print, copies regularly turn up on eBay.
Thank you very much as always epigramophone.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks Steve, for your valuable input. I only have the uploaded photos of the machine. It was the missing key lock that also made me think it could be a Model 11, when seeing the photo of the Model 11 in the HMG book, it has no key lock. If it is a Model 11, it is missing the castors though, as you also say. Regarding the doors that "poodling" mention, I find it myself hard to determine from the available photos...
I absolutely don't need this machine, and I absolutely have no room for it too, but it is the HMV heart that awakens in me, when I see it put up for sale, and nobody else seems to want it, and the risk of it ending in a place we don't want it to be, could be imminent. It is an early Grand Design, and despite maybe not being one of the most exciting models ouf ot the HMV book, it is still part of the history, and it is of course a rather hard to find motor in the machine, as well as an Exhibition sound box also present....And, I presume, the model also does not show up too often, around 100 years after its manufacture, and also taking into consideration it was not a big seller....

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:27 am Thanks Steve, for your valuable input. I only have the uploaded photos of the machine. It was the missing key lock that also made me think it could be a Model 11, when seeing the photo of the Model 11 in the HMG book, it has no key lock. If it is a Model 11, it is missing the castors though, as you also say. Regarding the doors that "poodling" mention, I find it myself hard to determine from the available photos...
I absolutely don't need this machine, and I absolutely have no room for it too, but it is the HMV heart that awakens in me, when I see it put up for sale, and nobody else seems to want it, and the risk of it ending in a place we don't want it to be, could be imminent. It is an early Grand Design, and despite maybe not being one of the most exciting models ouf ot the HMV book, it is still part of the history, and it is of course a rather hard to find motor in the machine, as well as an Exhibition sound box also present....And, I presume, the model also does not show up too often, around 100 years after its manufacture, and also taking into consideration it was not a big seller....
You're most welcome but I'm not sure I've helped much as you (in my opinion) probably nailed it yourself at the very beginning! As for the compulsion to buy HMV items you describe, we've all been there. Since 2000 I moved over to collecting other makers like Pathé, Columbia, EMG / Expert, Decca, Apollo, Parlophone, Phrynis and other continental makes as well as Spanish HMV! Imagine how frequently I'm awoken with the need to buy something. It's a nightmare! :lol:

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Well Steve, you at least confirmed that it likely can be a Model 11... :)
The absolute only reason that I am at all thinking about buying this machine, is because it is an early model that at least here, rarely (if ever will show up again), and to avoid that it ends on the landfill. I know there are hardly anyone in my area who will be able to preserve it and give it the service it most likely needs, and the risk that it ends on the landfill is big. I don't like that feeling at all.
Has anyone ever/from time to time, seen Model 11 up for sale in the UK? It could be interesting to know, to possibly get an indication of its scarcity and how important it is to save it from "oblivion".

I don't think about commercial value etc, since we all know grand designs are not very popular and they also take up much space, are hard to sell etc etc. Only cultural/historical value is what kept me watching this machine, and of course, it is interesting to identify it!
I have come to realize that I am not really tempted by buying more gramophones since last autumn, if it is not a machine that shows up that needs rescue from being thrown away, and also, I am excluding all brands except HMV. I have spent more time enjoying records during the winter, and will focus on repairing the HMV portables/grands/tabkle tops that I have put aside for servicing this summer. I have kept my line of Columbia portables, and adding the HMV spectrum of machines that I have in store, it is more than enough to keep me happy, and not too busy.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

It's a Model 11, with the castors missing.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Oedipus. :)

I decided to buy the machine, and rightly, it was close to ending where we don't want gramophones to end up.
I upload some photos, for those who want to have a look. I had to unscrew the lid to get the machine into my car. We can see the horn, and what I believe is the triple spring spiral drive motor. I have read in the HMG that this motor was in use from ca. 1907-1915.
The Model 11 was according to the book manufactured from 1916-1922, so maybe this machine because of the motor found in the machine, is from the early production of Model 11?
The louvres look somewhat different on my gramophone, than on the pictured Model 11, in the book. The panels in the louvres of my machine have wider openings, and one panel is missing from the photo of Model 11 in the book. I don't know if anyone has something to say on that detail...
I can upload more photos, of the complete machine, when I have serviced the motor, and put everything back together.
Attachments
April 2024 1216.jpg
April 2024 1216.jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 118 times
April 2024 1212.jpg
April 2024 1212.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 118 times
April 2024 1210.jpg
April 2024 1209.jpg
April 2024 1208.jpg
April 2024 1207.jpg
April 2024 1207.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 118 times
April 2024 1206.jpg
April 2024 1205.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

nostalgia wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:08 am Thank you, Oedipus. :)

I decided to buy the machine, and rightly, it was close to ending where we don't want gramophones to end up.
I upload some photos, for those who want to have a look. I had to unscrew the lid to get the machine into my car. We can see the horn, and atah I believe is the triple spring spiral drive motor. I have read in the HMG that this motor was in use from ca. 1907-1915.
The Model 11 was according to the book manufactured from 1916-1922, so maybe this machine because of the motor found in the machine, from the early production of Model 11?
The louvres look somewhat different on my gramophone, than on the pictured Model 11, in the book. The panels in the louvres of my machine have wider openings, and one panel is missing from the photo of Model 11 in the book. I don't know if anyone has something to say on that detail...
I can upload more photos, of the complete machine, when I have serviced the motor, and put everything back together.
Oh ........ a triple spring motor ........ how interesting.

Who would have thought ?