HMV floor model identification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

HMV floor model identification

Post by nostalgia »

I am back !
After the hardest, coldest and longest winter ever in my territory, I am at last able to spend some time on computer in a room that all winter has been locked down, and above everything else, I will also soon able to do some decent gramophone repairs etc.
This machine is for sale very close to my home, but I have a problem idenntifying it from the HMG book, when scrutinizing the detailsm, there always seem to be something that does not match withe the photos in the book.
We can see it is an early machine, with Exhibition sound box, goose neck arm, golden door knobs, and also the motor board is an early type, the decal etc etc. There are no keyhole as we can see. We can also see the legs etc.

The closest I have come by watching and comparing, is model 11/165 in the HMG book, if the machine pictured has had its wheels removed....
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

EdgarFB
Victor O

Re: HMV floor model identification

Post by EdgarFB »

I think its an HMV model 10 "Cabinet Grand"? Early 1920s (1921 ish?)

EDIT - although... I think they have londer legs so I'm not so sure :lol:

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Nope, it is can't be a Model 10. If we look at the carvings on this machine, these carvings are absent on the Model 10. We can also see the legs are different on this machine than on the Model 10. ( For those who have the HMG book and can compare the details)
Attachments
Leg.jpg
Leg.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Carvings.jpg
Carvings.jpg (7.61 KiB) Viewed 393 times

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

181 with missing wheels?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Sorry, again "nope". The machine that I uploaded pics of have no lidlock and key...The Model 181 also has a no 4 soundbox, while this macine is an earldy model with an Exhibition sound box. The tone arm is also different,,,,

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

nostalgia wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:53 pm I am back !
After the hardest, coldest and longest winter ever in my territory, I am at last able to spend some time on computer in a room that all winter has been locked down, and above everything else, I will also soon able to do some decent gramophone repairs etc.
This machine is for sale very close to my home, but I have a problem idenntifying it from the HMG book, when scrutinizing the detailsm, there always seem to be something that does not match withe the photos in the book.
We can see it is an early machine, with Exhibition sound box, goose neck arm, golden door knobs, and also the motor board is an early type, the decal etc etc. There are no keyhole as we can see. We can also see the legs etc.

The closest I have come by watching and comparing, is model 11/165 in the HMG book, if the machine pictured has had its wheels removed....
1. If this had / has an automatic brake, castors removed (or not chosen as an 'extra') and a triple spring motor then I think it is an HMV Cabinet model number 12.

(The EMG Colonel videos on Youtube which state that he is playing the HMV model 12 are something else I think, they are not model 12's).

2. As 'above' but if it has a double spring motor then I think it is a Cabinet Grand model 11.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I don't have any more photos at the time being than the uploaded photos, so I don't know what type of motor is found in the machine.
I agree that it looks very similar to Model 12, but model the versions of Model 12/12A has a lid lock on the photos in the HMG book, and on this machine the lid lock is absent. The three different versions of Model 12/12A also seem to have been produced in extremely limited numbers, while Model 11 at least seem to have been manufactured in a number passing 2000 units. That of course does not rule ut Model 12, but it is this lid lock.....

poodling around
Victor V

nostalgia wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:32 am I don't have any more photos at the time being than the uploaded photos, so I don't know what type of motor is found in the machine.
I agree that it looks very similar to Model 12, but model the versions of Model 12/12A has a lid lock on the photos in the HMG book, and on this machine the lid lock is absent. The three different versions of Model 12/12A also seem to have been produced in extremely limited numbers, while Model 11 at least seem to have been manufactured in a number passing 2000 units. That of course does not rule ut Model 12, but it is this lid lock.....
Very interesting indeed.
Last edited by poodling around on Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Based on information in "HMG" it appears it might be a Model 11 as it does not appear to have the "tail" in the carving? It is also missing the castors.

As for lid lock v no lid lock, it's worth remembering that the illustrated catalogues that Poodling is referring to, do not always accurately show the production model as it actually exists as minor changes might have been introduced between the production of catalogues and when the model was finally released.

The 12 clearly shows a lid lock in the photo in HMG but does not give an indication if the later "11" variation continued to have this.

For the moment at least, my money is on it being an "11".

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:46 am Based on information in "HMG" it appears it might be a Model 11 as it does not appear to have the "tail" in the carving? It is also missing the castors.

As for lid lock v no lid lock, it's worth remembering that the illustrated catalogues that Poodling is referring to, do not always accurately show the production model as it actually exists as minor changes might have been introduced between the production of catalogues and when the model was finally released.

The 12 clearly shows a lid lock in the photo in HMG but does not give an indication if the later "11" variation continued to have this.

For the moment at least, my money is on it being an "11".
Interesting
Last edited by poodling around on Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.