Attachments
pathejn.JPG
pathejn.JPG (47.45 KiB) Viewed 136 times

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Pathé phonograph

Post by Steve »

Sidewinder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:54 pm The concept of the "Jour Et Nuit" (day and night) machine was that you had the setup as shown in your photo's, for daytime use. For night, so as not to disturb the neighbours, you removed the bracket and horn and reversed the tonearm into the case. What I do not see with yours is an internal speaker, so maybe it played very quietly!
Yes, in this instance, more Day and Never than Day and Night!

I think the machine in question is simply an external horn machine which happens to utilise the "old" Jour Et Nuit bracket. I'm guessing the machine is quite late, especially with that motor and turntable, maybe 1928/9?

Stephaan
Victor Jr

Post by Stephaan »

thanks for all the information. Regarding the Jour et Nuit or whether it is Day and Never :D I'll find out when I open it.
I know that the person we got it from played the records without the horn, 1 because it takes quite some space and 2 it was not so loud. I'm not sure whether or not he knew that there was a night-option.
he received it probably around 1940 so it could very well have been build late twenties early thirties. I hope to find an indication inside the machine.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 pm I think the machine in question is simply an external horn machine which happens to utilise the "old" Jour Et Nuit bracket. I'm guessing the machine is quite late, especially with that motor and turntable, maybe 1928/9?
Yes, Steve, it is a quite late production machine that is a simplified version of the Jour et Nuit. It is a rare piece, probably because it was commercialized at a time when external horn machines had fallen out of public's taste.