Pathé phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Stephaan
Victor Jr

Pathé phonograph

Post by Stephaan »

Hello all,

We have been given a Pathé phonograph on which we have some questions and like some advice as to the preservation/restauration of it. It works fine, there are no weird noises when the crank is turned and I have the impression that the spring is still in good condition. It plays loud and clear (using a steel needle) on the pathé records that went along with it

1. I'd like an indication of the year of build as I cannot find information (no serial nr or date) on the wooden casing (not front or back or under) . I have not opened it so maybe there is something inside. I've found several pictures of Pathé players but none with the horn support on top.

2. as to the wooden casing : it has de pathé logo on the front. It shows some blackness and cracks which I think is old varnish. I'd like some advise as how to best remove it (I will steer clear from the logo as I can in no way reproduce that)

3 the horn is made of tin. The paint is flaking. I either want to preserve it as it is now but in that case it will need some kind of fixating varnish or so because now it is impossible to keep clean. I could try to strip and repaint it but that would be quite a task.

4. the turntable has a felt underground that probably needs replacing

5. the crank, speed and break are copper I think, so it would not be to difficult to have that cleaned.

6. the receptor seems ok, there is a second receptor but that has not the right angle to be used on this machine. It has the pathé logo

I still have to check the forum about tips and tricks on restauration but any advice or information is welcome.

regards

Stephaan
Attachments
turntable speed and break handlers.jpg
spare reproducer2.jpg
spare reproducer.jpg
sideview patheplayer.jpg
pathéplayer.jpg
horndetail.jpg
front of casing.jpg
attached reproducer.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Pathé phonograph

Post by Steve »

Stephaan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 am Hello all,

We have been given a Pathé phonograph on which we have some questions and like some advice as to the preservation/restauration of it. It works fine, there are no weird noises when the crank is turned and I have the impression that the spring is still in good condition. It plays loud and clear (using a steel needle) on the pathé records that went along with it

1. I'd like an indication of the year of build as I cannot find information (no serial nr or date) on the wooden casing (not front or back or under) . I have not opened it so maybe there is something inside. I've found several pictures of Pathé players but none with the horn support on top.

2. as to the wooden casing : it has de pathé logo on the front. It shows some blackness and cracks which I think is old varnish. I'd like some advise as how to best remove it (I will steer clear from the logo as I can in no way reproduce that)

3 the horn is made of tin. The paint is flaking. I either want to preserve it as it is now but in that case it will need some kind of fixating varnish or so because now it is impossible to keep clean. I could try to strip and repaint it but that would be quite a task.

4. the turntable has a felt underground that probably needs replacing

5. the crank, speed and break are copper I think, so it would not be to difficult to have that cleaned.

6. the receptor seems ok, there is a second receptor but that has not the right angle to be used on this machine. It has the pathé logo

I still have to check the forum about tips and tricks on restauration but any advice or information is welcome.

regards

Stephaan
With the horn support "on top", it sounds like a "Jour Et Nuit" model from 1920 onwards. A few more pictures would be very helpful before responding to further questions.

Stephaan
Victor Jr

Post by Stephaan »

I ve added more pictures, something went wrong loading them the first time
Stephaan

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Haha, pictures now added, I see. It definitely uses the "Jour Et Nuit" set-up but it does not appear to have the internal horn. It is possibly quite a rare model. I've seen about 20 of these, but not this particular version before. It appears to have a different motor and turntable to the standard "Jour Et Nuit" machine I've seen previously.

The horn should definitely be preserved and not repainted. The brake, speed control etc is brass or steel, not copper. The cabinet is oak and you might use something like Chemico on it to remove the dirt BUT it takes patience and great care not to damage the varnish. The top is already very flakey and it will inevitably remove more of the varnish.

The model number or letter will be found under the turntable on a small metal plaque.

The "second receptor" or "soundbox" can also be used on the machine but should have a straight tube projecting at 90 degrees to the diaphragm, straight out from the back of the soundbox. These were rubber connectors with metal reinforcement around each end.
Last edited by Steve on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

A somewhat similar horn is on top of another Pathé machine. Please check this out
https://youtu.be/aDk3cdPFsC0?feature=shared

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Sherazhyder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:35 am A somewhat similar horn is on top of another Pathé machine. Please check this out
It is the most common Pathé horn type to be fair as it was introduced around 1910-12 and available until, I believe, at least 1930.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Stephaan,

You have a really great example there! Tread very lightly on it in order to preserve it, rather than to restore or to refinish it. As Steve has indicated, a good and very careful cleaning, that preserves what is there, is what it mostly needs.

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

Steve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:40 am
Sherazhyder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:35 am A somewhat similar horn is on top of another Pathé machine. Please check this out
It is the most common Pathé horn type to be fair as it was introduced around 1910-12 and available until, I believe, at least 1930.
I stand educated. Thank you sir

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The second reproducer, as it is named, not receptor, is the one in the photo with the red rubber pipe at the back. Orientation is ok, as this is intended to play Pathé records of the sapphire type, whose grooves are recorded in tje vertical direction, up and down, andd so the reproducer is placed to be able to follow these vibrations. these are played with a stylus that carries a sapphire ball at the tip of a metal shank. Don't play these with steel needles or you will ruin the recording. you can Google for Pathé sapphire records and you'll see what we are saying, how they look, etc... they are interesting, and good sounding records. Equally, don't play standard 78rpm records with the sapphire reproducer, or you will ruin the records and maybe the sapphire!
These are not the best examples, taken quickly from the web... But enough for you to see what are we talking about....
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 171 times
pphone6detail2.jpg
pphone6detail2.jpg (118.76 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Inigo

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

The concept of the "Jour Et Nuit" (day and night) machine was that you had the setup as shown in your photo's, for daytime use. For night, so as not to disturb the neighbours, you removed the bracket and horn and reversed the tonearm into the case. What I do not see with yours is an internal speaker, so maybe it played very quietly!