Crescendo by Decca

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Crescendo by Decca

Post by Sherazhyder »

This afternoon I bought a Crescendo gramophone by Decca. Despite a couple of negative reviews about this model on the internet, the spring of the machine is still strong enough to completely play a record once fully wound up. The soundbox works well. The leather fabric despite some cracks on corners of the case is still intact. What do you think of it?
Attachments
1e5e330b-a39b-4fb7-9217-aad8e32fe947.jpeg
680fdddc-c1d2-4ac6-88a6-5e95cb266d2c.jpeg
71d2a449-dc67-4d44-b908-6cfbb1766901.jpeg
3b5e8afa-9366-44a5-b586-67743c119bbb.jpeg
cf45fd67-a706-4e58-8b4b-6ef48abdb424.mp4
(28.71 MiB) Downloaded 7 times

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Re: Crescendo by Decca

Post by Sherazhyder »

The video attached to my message was made by the seller who did not know how to adjust the speed.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Aaaaargh!!! That needle scraping the record!!!
Anyway, promises a good sound and lots of fun!
Inigo

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi Inigo ! Thanks for your very encouraging message. Please advise me on refurbishment of its leather paper/fabric skin. Should I get it repaired or replaced? Does the complete change of upholstery reduce the historic value of the machine? What is your suggestion?
Thanks and regards
Sheraz

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Of course it's better to have an original repaired, or only cleaned, but showing its 'war wounds'... But the historical value of a cheap portable like this one, and also very common... today is small. I don't know what to think about the future... Of course the value of any machine will increase with age, if it is well preserved, because phonographs will tend to disappear. Who knows!
Inigo

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Inigo! Yes , I agree retaining the originality of an object to the possible extent is a basic principle of restoration. I would try to do a neat restoration job.

Again I agree that antique value of a Crescendo is not much as compared to machines which were made of more durable materials, employed best technology of their time, had strong aesthetic elements etc.

I feel it is a miracle that these cheap machines, for instance this Crescendo from 1920 which was a kind of a free give away in its times, have survived beyond expectations. I think this has happened less for their own physical strength and more for their emotional value to the owners. But the first generation who inherited these machines from their parents or directly from their grandparents will be on the way out. Obviously, the new owners are not likely to be as much emotionally attached to these machines as were the previous ones.

I have observed that the ordinary machines, designed to be vulnerable to time and age, may not last long as they are not cherished possessions and do not receive due care. Conversely, the expensive machine will continue to exist for their economic value and of course for their inherent durability. In this scenario, it is important to give the most vulnerable ones a chance to survive. Thanks and best regards
Sheraz

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Sherazhyder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm Should I get it repaired or replaced? Does the complete change of upholstery reduce the historic value of the machine? What is your suggestion?
From the photos the machine looks in good shape, and I would not replace its fabric. Replacing the original finish always reduces the value of a gramophone. A good scrub with a damp cloth and light soap to remove old dust followed by applying shoe polish wax on the rexine-covered areas always helps to bring new life to these machines. And I am sure that after replacing the gasket of the soundbox the machine will sound nice, the Decca soundbox is a good one.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

CarlosV wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm
Sherazhyder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm Should I get it repaired or replaced? Does the complete change of upholstery reduce the historic value of the machine? What is your suggestion?
From the photos the machine looks in good shape, and I would not replace its fabric. Replacing the original finish always reduces the value of a gramophone. A good scrub with a damp cloth and light soap to remove old dust followed by applying shoe polish wax on the rexine-covered areas always helps to bring new life to these machines. And I am sure that after replacing the gasket of the soundbox the machine will sound nice, the Decca soundbox is a good one.
Hi Carlos! Thanks for your piece of advice, which I am going to zealously adhere to. I checked the soundbox it’s still airtight. The needle used to play the record as in the video was a worn out thing. I hope it will play well after oiling with a new needle.

One thing is not understandable- the horn is the typical Decca design but painted in black. Ordinarily, the Decca soundbox in this design is in chromed metal. I guess the previous owner painted the chrome a long time back in the past.
Regards
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

The black soundbox is on my machine and the other is the one I often see with Decca machines.
Attachments
IMG_2403.jpeg
df2b1bcb-2dd1-4bb6-8c0e-4dfefdada331.jpeg
df2b1bcb-2dd1-4bb6-8c0e-4dfefdada331.jpeg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 92 times

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Sherazhyder wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 pm
One thing is not understandable- the horn is the typical Decca design but painted in black. Ordinarily, the Decca soundbox in this design is in chromed metal. I guess the previous owner painted the chrome a long time back in the past.
Regards
Sheraz
Hello Sheraz
As the soundbox is also black, my guess is that the black painted horn is also original, possibly a version offered as alternative to the chrome one.
Regards
Carlos