Decca Dulcephone "Trench" Model 1 - Restoration Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Re: Decca Dulcephone "Trench" Model 1 - Restoration Questions

Post by mbhdesign »

Ah yes, that puzzles me also.

The motor board on mine has provision for three items also. I assume brake, motor speed adjuster, and needle cup (with lid).

The number 1 position is where I see the brake position most often.

Too bad there’s no overhead photo.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

This subject is certainly puzzling in many ways.

The copper reflector Decca shown at the Science Museum was active during WW1 and yet of course it has the handle in a different place to yours, locks, Decca name on the tone-arm area etc.

Link: https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/the-g ... diered-on/

My two 'copper reflector' Decca's resemble the Science Museum one in very many ways - but are also different as they have the patent / model details on the tone-arm area, (the same as shown at the auction you provided a link to) and one has different locks etc.

So (as mentioned) maybe it is a combination of factors that created differences to models which were made during a similar period of time - revolving around war shortages and different styles for different models.

Neither of mine have signs of ever having needle pots by the way but again, maybe the copper types were different ?

I am just 'thinking out loud' here really - a fascinating area to speculate upon !

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

The Decca Portables publication mentioned by Oedipus does an excellent job of explaining the particulars of these earliest models.

Decca offered multiple variations. Leather covered with copper bowl, maroon cloth with aluminum bowl, and a black cloth (over fiber?) with black bowl.

The very first models (1914-1915) had a handle at the rear hinge, and a right angle where the reproducer was attached to the arm. This caused tracking issues and was changed to a different angle in 1915-16.

If my machine is dated 1918, I assume it was thrown together with whatever was available.

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

Oh, I forgot to add that there were different prices for each of these variations also. I would imagine the low cost versions might not have a needle pot.

Then again, many years have passed between when these models were new. My machine shows lots of tinkering over its lifetime. Maybe a needle pot was an accessory or a later add-on?

All part of the fun of the investigation!

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

“photograph below there are three items attached to the motor board. One would be the brake, one the speed control and the other ? (eludes me).”

Hi! I think the three items are (1) brake (2) speed control (3) knob to pull out the board.
I remember seeing some machines where the head/top of speed control (left side ) and puller knob (right side) were of the same design to aesthetically balance the appearance of fittings on the board.

Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi ! The understanding that the carrying handle was at the rear, near the hinges of the case, seems to be mistaken and defies logic. Long before the invention of portable gramophones, the suit case was there with its carrying handle on its front. The placing of handle at the front of a suitcase is logical: when the case is put down on a floor (often during a travel) and the carrier stands next to it, the case is not made to stand on its locks. Making the case sit on its bottom would have caused the carrier inconvenience of bending down while placing it on the floor or picking up from the floor. Even today all suit cases are designed to sit on their bottom when placed above the floor and stand on their rear or side when put down on the floor.Further, a carrying handle at the back of a phonograph case increases the possibility of tone arm (hung up side down) slipping out its of stay and dangling left and right. Thus, it is difficult to imagine a carrying handle at the rear when precedent and logic requires it at the front.

Of all the pictures and adverts, I have seen the carrying handle is either on the front or on the side of a Decca. Here are two pictures from 1915 and 1917.

If there was a case with the carrying handle at the rear, where is the evidence?
Regards
Sheraz
Attachments
IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

mbhdesign wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:00 pm Here’s a recent auction showing an early Decca.
It’s a leather model, but has the same Dulciflex bowl and labels mine does. And the handle at the hinge back.

https://live.millerandmillerauctions.co ... phonograph
Sheraz,

My recent posting of this model at auction shows a version with the handle at the back like mine.

They are documented and do exist. Not many seem to have survived today.

Christopher Proudfoots publication on Decca Portables (mentioned earlier in this post) also verifies the existence of these earliest models. Though they tend to date from 1914 to 1915 only.

My machine, with 1914 specifications but a label dating to 1918 is an anomaly. But certainly plausible.

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

Here’s the reference machine I mentioned. Handle is positioned at the rear hinge area.
Handle at rear hinge area
Handle at rear hinge area
Machine open. Front view. No handle visible.
Machine open. Front view. No handle visible.
I fully agree with Sheraz that this is not at all logical. It makes for a very awkward use. But it was done this way.

GavinM
Victor Jr

Post by GavinM »

Some photos of a Decca portable have been posted today on another discussion board:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57652&start=10

One of them appears to show a needle bowl at the front, left hand position so maybe that confirms the third item of metalwork on Michael's machine.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Sheraz,

My recent posting of this model at auction shows a version with the handle at the back like mine.

They are documented and do exist. Not many seem to have survived today.

Christopher Proudfoots publication on Decca Portables (mentioned earlier in this post) also verifies the existence of these earliest models. Though they tend to date from 1914 to 1915 only.

My machine, with 1914 specifications but a label dating to 1918 is an anomaly. But certainly plausible.
[/quote]

Hi ! My goodness, I could not imagine this machine without your pictures. I checked all major papers of the time but couldn’t find even a single advert for their promotion. There were other Decca models in adverts from 1915, 16-17. These might have been short lived owing to their odd carrying handle design. Anyhow I stand educated about so many things today. Thank you
Best for your project.
Sheraz