Decca Dulcephone "Trench" Model 1 - Restoration Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Re: Decca Dulcephone "Trench" Model 1 - Restoration Questions

Post by mbhdesign »

Thank you for all your comments and questions, Sheraz. I appreciate your discussion points very much. It all helps!

GavinM
Yes, I see that also. There is evidence on my motor board of three placements that correspond. But it could also be only two, and the brake repositioned in a different place.

In any case, I suspect the machine I have was a lowest price point model.

Is there a Decca serial number database of machines? It would be helpful if enough data existed to create one.

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

GavinM wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:01 am Some photos of a Decca portable have been posted today on another discussion board:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57652&start=10

One of them appears to show a needle bowl at the front, left hand position so maybe that confirms the third item of metalwork on Michael's machine.
Thank you again for calling attention to this posting, GavinM.

I’ve never seen collapsible / telescopic spring hinge attachments like that before. On any machine. Amazing!

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

I found a sales listing of a recently sold Decca Dulcephone portable that is identical to mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166025304762?m ... edia=EMAIL

It sold last August. I have asked the seller if they would be willing to share the original listing photographs with me. Fingers crossed.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

mbhdesign wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 pm I found a sales listing of a recently sold Decca Dulcephone portable that is identical to mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166025304762?m ... edia=EMAIL

It sold last August. I have asked the seller if they would be willing to share the original listing photographs with me. Fingers crossed.
Now that would be extremely interesting indeed.

As you say, "fingers crossed" !

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

Well, I was able to "scrape" these from the original online sales website listing. Tantalizing, indeed.
View of eBay machine open. Same side clasps as my machine.
View of eBay machine open. Same side clasps as my machine.
You can see that this machine has the same side clasps as mine. This "eBay" machine has the brake in the upper right, round speed control in the lower right, and a dealer's nameplate (aha!) in the lower-left corner of the motor board.

The bowl (Dulceflex) has the same decal labels as mine. It is in the same aluminum as mine. The same black "leatherette" fabric as mine. The same platen type also.
The "eBay" machine has the original handle, handle holder, and dual chains for lid support, however.
Detail of the motorboard lower left
Detail of the motorboard lower left
A detail I was able to grab. The same style of label as my machine is partially visible through the platen holes.
Detail of the upper left corner of the Dulceflex
Detail of the upper left corner of the Dulceflex
A detail showing the same type of decal "Decca Dulcephone" as present on my machine also. And, a detail of the upper placement of the lid chain screw.
Detail of the side - with clasp
Detail of the side - with clasp
A bit blurry, but the same style of clasp is present on this machine exactly in the same style and placement as on mine.
Rear hinge area and handle
Rear hinge area and handle
Another blurry shot. This is the back of the "eBay" machine showing the hinge and handle (with rope replacement)

I would have snatched this up if I had known of its existence last year... ah well. Next time.

poodling around
Victor V

mbhdesign wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:15 pm Well, I was able to "scrape" these from the original online sales website listing. Tantalizing, indeed.

Decca dulcephone - Google Search.jpeg

You can see that this machine has the same side clasps as mine. This "eBay" machine has the brake in the upper right, round speed control in the lower right, and a dealer's nameplate (aha!) in the lower-left corner of the motor board.

The bowl (Dulceflex) has the same decal labels as mine. It is in the same aluminum as mine. The same black "leatherette" fabric as mine. The same platen type also.
The "eBay" machine has the original handle, handle holder, and dual chains for lid support, however.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.55.10 PM.jpeg

A detail I was able to grab. The same style of label as my machine is partially visible through the platen holes.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.55.43 PM.jpeg

A detail showing the same type of decal "Decca Dulcephone" as present on my machine also. And, a detail of the upper placement of the lid chain screw.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.56.03 PM.jpeg

A bit blurry, but the same style of clasp is present on this machine exactly in the same style and placement as on mine.

Back_Handle.jpg

Another blurry shot. This is the back of the "eBay" machine showing the hinge and handle (with rope replacement)

I would have snatched this up if I had known of its existence last year... ah well. Next time.
Great photographs !

It seems to have the same speed control and (probably) brake as mine - once I find it again.

Was it for sale in the UK or the USA I wonder ? I would have tried to buy it too !

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

The seller is based in the UK. Maybe someone on this forum bought it?

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

GavinM wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:01 am Some photos of a Decca portable have been posted today on another discussion board:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57652&start=10

One of them appears to show a needle bowl at the front, left hand position so maybe that confirms the third item of metalwork on Michael's machine.
Hi ! The Decca junior brake is identical to the one in the recently shared pictures of the machine in discussion. There is a probability that the missing needle bowl of this machine might be similar to the one on Decca Junior’s motor board. See pics for reference please.
Regards
Sheraz
Attachments
IMG_2488.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg
IMG_2504.jpeg

mbhdesign
Victor Jr

Post by mbhdesign »

Ah! Thank you, Sheraz for these great details.
Do you know if the needle cup sits above the board? Or does the cup rest in a larger diameter hole?

Also, thank you the pic of the brake with rubber stopper intact! Now I know what that needs to look like. Thanks!

poodling around
Victor V

mbhdesign wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm The seller is based in the UK. Maybe someone on this forum bought it?
Very interesting.

Well, I haven't found the brake yet but I found a photograph of it that I took a few years ago when I first acquired the gramophone.

It has a complete round shaped 'base' (to match the speed controller) and is located at the back of the motorboard on the right hand side.

An interesting, simple design I think.

Of course yours may well have been different but this shows what an early brake looked like .... sometimes !
Attachments
dbr.jpg