HMV 101 rare colour?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

HMV 101 rare colour?

Post by Sherazhyder »

An HMV 101 has come up for sale in the local market here in Pakistan. The seller is asking for about USD 225 (negotiable). Usually, a good machine (in black rexine) of this model sells for about USD 175. But the seller thinks the case of his machine is in a rare colour and therefore deserves a higher price. I have not personally visited the seller. But by looks, the case seems to have been clothed in some kind of fabric and not in leather. I have not seen any fabric cover 101 at this forum but in our part of the world HMV 101 in green fabric, often in a very faded state, is not very uncommon. Probably these cases were some budget variants of 101. However, the present one is in a decently good shape. The difference of colour in the two pictures is probably because of lights’ effect. What do you think of it?

I will appreciate your kind advice. Thank you
Sheraz
Attachments
IMG_2514.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2516.jpeg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: HMV 101 rare colour?

Post by CarlosV »

The machine was clearly covered with a cloth. The record holder shows the original colour.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

CarlosV wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:16 am The machine was clearly covered with a cloth. The record holder shows the original colour.
Hi Carlos ! Thank you for your response.
Do you mean the upholstery has been changed sometime in the past ?
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

CarlosV wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:16 am The machine was clearly covered with a cloth. The record holder shows the original colour.

I want to add that the case top/lid does not have the outline of a rectangle, something I often see in HMV 101s top, pressed/engraved in the fabric. Was that a permanent feature of 101s?

Regards
Sheraz

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Sherazhyder wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:50 am
I want to add that the case top/lid does not have the outline of a rectangle, something I often see in HMV 101s top, pressed/engraved in the fabric. Was that a permanent feature of 101s?

Regards
Sheraz
The impressed rectangles are a feature of all HMV portables, starting with the 100. The only exceptions were the "crocodile" 101s, and the red leather 102s.This one has been re-covered in a very inappropriate fabric of some kind, and it looks terrible!
Barry
Last edited by Phono48 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

This is a late 101, with automatic brake No. 4, probably from 1930. The record tray shows it to have been an 'LB101' (i.e. light blue). It looks to me as if the rest of the case has been overpainted in a much lighter blue, and it may be that the painting has disguised the 'blind stamped' lines on the lid.

All 101s were covered in leather cloth, not leather, apart from the red-leather-with-gilt-fittings version, and one or two one-offs that appear from time to time.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I would run away from that. Its been recovered in an entirely inappropriate material.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Yes, you are right. Its upholstery has certainly been changed in the past. The gap in the fabric joints at the corners is visible. Thank you .
Regards
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Steve wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:37 am I would run away from that. Its been recovered in an entirely inappropriate material.
Noted. Thank you for the advice.
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Oedipus wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:21 am This is a late 101, with automatic brake No. 4, probably from 1930. The record tray shows it to have been an 'LB101' (i.e. light blue). It looks to me as if the rest of the case has been overpainted in a much lighter blue, and it may be that the painting has disguised the 'blind stamped' lines on the lid.

All 101s were covered in leather cloth, not leather, apart from the red-leather-with-gilt-fittings version, and one or two one-offs that appear from time to time.
Thank you for your comments and expert opinion.
Regards
Sheraz