Empty HMV 511cabinet becomes EMG stand project

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Empty HMV 511cabinet becomes EMG stand project

Post by Steve »

I today acquired the cabinet remains of a 511 which I plan to cut down to make a stand / record cupboard similar to the one Graham uses for his 10B Oversize. My planned project will hopefully fulfill the same task for my 10B Oversize Export model. A mint 511 is barely £200-300 these days so this would not be an economical restoration piece, even if it was possible to find the original horn.

I thought I'd document and share the process as I go along for anyone interested. Of course, any useful tips and pointers would also be gratefully received.
Attachments
20240421_163007.jpg
20240421_162744.jpg
20240421_162720.jpg
20240421_162702.jpg
20240421_162620.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Empty HMV 511cabinet becomes EMG stand project

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:41 am I today acquired the cabinet remains of a 511 which I plan to cut down to make a stand / record cupboard similar to the one Graham uses for his 10B Oversize. My planned project will hopefully fulfill the same task for my 10B Oversize Export model. A mint 511 is barely £200-300 these days so this would not be an economical restoration piece, even if it was possible to find the original horn.

I thought I'd document and share the process as I go along for anyone interested. Of course, any useful tips and pointers would also be gratefully received.
Very interesting.

Do you have a photo of the one Graham uses to show what you are aiming for and how long will this project take do you think, I wonder ?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 am
Steve wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:41 am I today acquired the cabinet remains of a 511 which I plan to cut down to make a stand / record cupboard similar to the one Graham uses for his 10B Oversize. My planned project will hopefully fulfill the same task for my 10B Oversize Export model. A mint 511 is barely £200-300 these days so this would not be an economical restoration piece, even if it was possible to find the original horn.

Very interesting.

Do you have a photo of the one Graham uses to show what you are aiming for and how long will this project take do you think, I wonder ?
Well, perhaps even better than that, I have the photo, shown below, that Graham very kindly forwarded to me showing the same stand Ian used for the machine before I bought it. Sadly, it has now been lost to posterity so I'm having to start from scratch! The stand and spare Collaro M3A motor have gone but no one seems to know exactly where? it is therefore my intention to vary the approach to the stand very slightly. I will attempt to salvage the very good HMV lid and repurpose it as the cabinet top after modification. Hopefully I will not be left with just a pile of firewood! :D
EMG stand1a.jpg
EMG stand1a.jpg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 274 times
As for time-scales, that depends on other things. I haven't got much time to even look at it presently!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The one on the photo looks every well adapted to the EMG. But even a complete cabinet like yours would look nice as the base.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:14 pm The one on the photo looks every well adapted to the EMG. But even a complete cabinet like yours would look nice as the base.
Yes, Carlos, I completely agree but the only issue I have with leaving it as it is, would be the height! My ceilings are only standard UK height of 2.4m (8 feet in old money) so the horn does not clear the ceiling, sadly!

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here are a couple of shots of mine. As Steve says, any further increase in height would be impossible in the room because of the standard ceiling height. Additionally, allowing for my vertically challenged body, I should need a biscuit tin to reach the record should the turntable be any higher !
Attachments
Ex Frank James EMG---CC photos for Xmas card practise (3).jpg
Ex Frank James EMG---CC photos for Xmas card practise (5).jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

This is probably the appropriate thread to post this photo of the full HMV 511 (ex-Lumière) conversion. The turntable height works out at roughly the same as that achieved by the combination of the standard table model on top of the cut-down 511 unit. The item pictured is one of three---two with mahogany and one with oak veneers. It was necessary to cut and re-hinge the original lid to accomodate the full EMG sound system.
Attachments
11th November 2019 (13).JPG
Last edited by emgcr on Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Another variation can be seen here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jSOzteh8qA I think the beautiful cabinet was built by a furniture maker with a small internal wooden horn. This allowed demonstration of old and new technology with the use of two tonearms---each playing out of a different horn. By using the two together it was also possible to produce a kind of reverb' or simulated "stereo" sound, the extent of which was controlled according to the timing of needle placement. Lots of fun !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

emgcr wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 pm This is probably the appropriate thread to post this photo of the full HMV 511 (ex-Lumière) conversion. The turntable height works out at roughly the same as that achieved by the combination of the standard table model on top of the cut-down 511 unit. The item pictured is one of three---two with mahogany and one with oak veneers. It was necessary to cut and re-hinge the original lid to accomodate the full EMG sound system.
Thank you for sharing the photos, Graham. I particularly like the 511 conversion; it looks fabulous, a real "statement" piece.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Lid reduction work started. First off was the added on beading which made a 510 lid into the 511 one. Then after cutting down the lid, the beading has been reinstated. It's only in the "the rough" currently but it's a start!
Attachments
20240427_191628.jpg
20240427_141911.jpg
20240427_141855.jpg