Post by Steve »

Top reduced!
Attachments
20240428_194645.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Empty HMV 511cabinet becomes EMG stand project

Post by emgcr »

Well done Steve---looks really fabulous--very professional ! Now for some good listening at a convenient height !

By the way, for those wanting to see the photos the right way up, just click on the images. The wonders of technology................

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

emgcr wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 pm Well done Steve---looks really fabulous--very professional ! Now for some good listening at a convenient height !

By the way, for those wanting to see the photos the right way up, just click on the images. The wonders of technology................
Thank you for the kind comments, Graham. It is nowhere close to being finished yet. The whole cabinet has yet to be re-glued together and the lid and back panel have not been properly fixed in place. Once that has all been taken care of I will fill a few holes and repair tiny pieces of broken veneer before completing stripping the last remains of the original finish prior to re-staining and re-finishing. On the last matter, I have a question about choice of materials: the cabinet has been coated with linseed oil so what will cover that successfully? I'm assuming any varnishes will simply dry with holes in the finish due to the oily surface? Shellac might be better but I'm not confident about applying that so any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks again!

Steve

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Steve,

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but it seems to suggest that linseed oil and varnish can work well with each other.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/wood-suppl ... ish-blends

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Hello Steve,

Yes, Jerry's suggestions seem eminently sensible and very helpful and could work well. The trouble is in knowing exactly what product to use for your particular application isn't it ? Whatever you decide I think it will be important to experiment on parts of the case not normally seen or, even better, on the section of the top you have cut off. I would always start by completely stripping/sanding the original, particularly as I know you are trying to match oak to walnut. The elephant in the room is the linseed. I would then phone the technical guys at Mylands (link below) who really do understand every aspect of what you are trying to do. I would think dyes will be necessary for starters, having stripped everything really well, followed by French polish. Oak is more tricky than mahogany/walnut and may not keep its initial shine long term---but should still be more than acceptable. Hope this is helpful and do let us know how you get on. What fun !

https://mylands.com/?gad_source=1&gclid ... shEALw_wcB

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Thank you, Jerry and Graham, for the most useful links and suggestions. It certainly provides food for thought. My only reservation about using a varnish product is that I know it would have to be oil-based and right now in the UK that is becoming increasingly difficult to find; it seems a lot of retailers have moved over to water based products.