HMV cases in Mahogany and Teak

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

HMV cases in Mahogany and Teak

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hello !

Sometime back someone here mentioned that all HMV models which came in Burma Teak or Mahogany wood cases were meant for tropical regions and therefore were not marketed in the home market. Further those models which were cased in oak wood were for local market.

Does this amount to saying that all Teak and Mahogany models/ versions fall under the rubric or term ‘colonial’? If not, then what is the definition of a colonial model?

Thanks and regards
Sheraz
Last edited by Sherazhyder on Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: HMV cases of Mahogany and Teak Cases

Post by Steve »

Sherazhyder wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 am Hello !

Sometime back someone here mentioned that all HMV models which came in Burma Teak or Mahogany wood cases were meant for tropical regions and therefore were not marketed in the home market. Further those models which were cased in oak wood were for local market.

Does this amount to saying that all Teak and Mahogany models/ versions fall under the rubric or term ‘colonial’? If not, then what is the definition of a colonial model?

Thanks and regards
Sheraz
If, by "home market" you are referring to the UK, then Burma Teak models were not supplied here and these are considered "Colonial" models, emanating from the Calcutta factory and intended solely for that Indian market. In the UK we had oak and mahogany cabinets predominantly with occasionally walnut variants. With that said, any model which was exclusive to the Indian sub-continent would be classified as "Colonial" ie. 110, 112, 113, 114, 118, Model 31, 300 series etc. There were many!

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Thank you Steve for your note !

Is there a catalogue of HMV’s Colonial models ? I have seen Mr Micheal Kinnear’s detailed research on Singer’s external horn gramophones introduced in India during 1910-1920 ( though hardly any of those appear to exist) but I have yet to see a book on Colonial HMVs. I have learnt about Mr Christopher Proudfoot and Mr Brian Oklay’s book, which, I am sure, would have mentioned the Colonial models as well. But it is very expensive to buy it online and then get it delivered in Pakistan. Lately, I heard about its CD version and sent an email to Mr Oklay who was very kind to inform me that CD was no more an option.

I will appreciate if you can refer to me any introductory article or short essay which surveys the Colonial models. Thank you
Regards
Sheraz

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Sherazhyder wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:55 pm Thank you Steve for your note !

Is there a catalogue of HMV’s Colonial models ? I have seen Mr Micheal Kinnear’s detailed research on Singer’s external horn gramophones introduced in India during 1910-1920 ( though hardly any of those appear to exist) but I have yet to see a book on Colonial HMVs. I have learnt about Mr Christopher Proudfoot and Mr Brian Oklay’s book, which, I am sure, would have mentioned the Colonial models as well. But it is very expensive to buy it online and then get it delivered in Pakistan. Lately, I heard about its CD version and sent an email to Mr Oklay who was very kind to inform me that CD was no more an option.

I will appreciate if you can refer to me any introductory article or short essay which surveys the Colonial models. Thank you
Regards
Sheraz
To put it succinctly, what you're looking for, doesn't exist! The "His Master's Gramophone" book does not survey all the colonial models or indeed any of the European models. The book would have been four times the size (and probably cost!) at least to have done that but the truth is no one has access to all that information, indeed if it even exists anywhere, which I sincerely doubt.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV cases in Mahogany and Teak

Post by epigramophone »

Dave Cooper's book (see below) contains a short chapter on the "Tropical" HMV models. He states that there are no Indian catalogues held in the EMI archives for 1928 or 1929, or for the period 1942 to 1955, but unfortunately he does not clarify whether or not the catalogues from 1930 to 1941 still exist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394962445422

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Re: HMV cases in Mahogany and Teak

Post by Sherazhyder »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 am Dave Cooper's book (see below) contains a short chapter on the "Tropical" HMV models. He states that there are no Indian catalogues held in the EMI archives for 1928 or 1929, or for the period 1942 to 1955, but unfortunately he does not clarify whether or not the catalogues from 1930 to 1941 still exist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394962445422
Hi ! Thank you for very kindly responding to my request. I have a copy of HMV Catalogue of Instruments for the years 1925 and 1928 however none of these catalogues have any reference to the Teak cased gramophones and teak veneer models manufactured at Calcutta or England ( for tropical countries). Probably these catalogues were made for Europe and America, where machines in Oak and Mahogany were marketed.

The moment I opened the eBay , the book was already sold. Interestingly, the eBay still shows images of about 9 pages of that short book sold but none of the pages have any description of colonial machines but some photos. Anyhow I will try to find the book in some pre owned book store (online).

I will appreciate if you like to share any other piece of relevant information, whenever you have.
Best regards
Sheraz