John Morley collection auction March 20th Union Illinois

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Damfino59
Victor II

John Morley collection auction March 20th Union Illinois

Post by Damfino59 »

https://www.donleyauctions.com/

John Morley was the first real big phonograph collector I ever met. He would actually travel to old time farm shows and display his collection. The Rock River Threshuree in Edgerton Wisconsin & the Freeport Steam Show Illinois were two of the big shows for him.
He would have setup a large Nickelodeon, music box plus stand and several phonographs. All operational. Not just table phonographs but big uprights like a nice golden oak Edison A250.
As I write this I think it was the late 1970’s when my father would take us to these shows, as he was a collector of gas engines. So it’s been quite awhile.
I was actually fortunate enough to visit John at least once in Dixon Illinois and see his collection in person.
He passed away November 2020.

Glenn

emerson
Victor III

Re: John Morley collection auction March 20th Union Illinois

Post by emerson »

In the late 60's--mid 70's would go to The Hershey Swap Meet and could park in the parking lot of the stadium at that time. There was a gentleman and I assume it was him that had the set up on a trailer and played it ---you could hear it and appreciate the festive and patriotic music he played----it was for me a part of Hershey ---as well as the mud. Thanks for posting

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

emerson wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:44 pm ----it was for me a part of Hershey ---as well as the mud. Thanks for posting
I've slogged through that mud many times!!! Wouldn't have missed it for the world! Not the same since it's now all paved, but of course it still rains more often than not.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

I’ve not aware about Mr. Morley setting up at the Hershey AACA swap meet. So it’s possible. But he did have nice Model T Ford coupe with the earlier style body and backward opening doors. I think that was the pre 1922 style.

It seems most phonograph collectors have some experience with antique automobiles. By antique I mean pre 1935. There was a time that 1970’s automobiles were what we used to get to car shows, and not display :lol: