Franklin Phonograph on Facebook; West Chester PA

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Franklin Phonograph on Facebook; West Chester PA

Post by Granby »

For all my fellow "off brand" collectors out there.... this is a nice example of a Franklin Phonograph. At $700, the price is tad high in my opinion, but still a neat example. Check out the link...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... _code=null
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Franklin Phonograph on Facebook; West Chester PA

Post by CharliePhono »

151664132_10219919153068935_4667334592903247281_o.jpg

Granby
Victor II

Post by Granby »

Thanks for posting the pic! I probably should have done that... LOL. ;)

You know, now that I look at it... it may really not be that high of a price... it's beautiful.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I can't figure out what seller is trying to say in this sentence: "This is an antique Victoria by the Franklin Phonograph company. When they were made Victoria sold the “guys” to cabinet makers." Aside from the obvious typo for "Victrola," what or who are the "guys"? Anybody help?

It is indeed a beautiful looking piece of cabinetry.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Henry wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:05 pm I can't figure out what seller is trying to say in this sentence: "This is an antique Victoria by the Franklin Phonograph company. When they were made Victoria sold the “guys” to cabinet makers." Aside from the obvious typo for "Victrola," what or who are the "guys"? Anybody help?

It is indeed a beautiful looking piece of cabinetry.
Guts.

Granby
Victor II

Post by Granby »

Yeah.... that description was pretty far out there... :shock: But, I think many of us have heard such unique things at this point in our collecting, I think we just gloss right over it or maybe I am immune to it now....

I just look at the price and the picture :D

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

I'm not a Victor guy, but it seems counter-intuitive that Victor Talking Machines would sell their components to a competitor when Victor had a huge catalogue of sizes and styles of machines to sell directly to the public. Did Victor really wholesale components to specialty cabinet makers? I have a hard time believing they needed the business.

Robert

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

HMVDevotee wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:26 pm I'm not a Victor guy, but it seems counter-intuitive that Victor Talking Machines would sell their components to a competitor when Victor had a huge catalogue of sizes and styles of machines to sell directly to the public. Did Victor really wholesale components to specialty cabinet makers? I have a hard time believing they needed the business.

Robert
There's nothing remotely related to Victor on the machine in question. The "story" told by the seller is total B.S.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The seller may have confused the idea of the wholesale parts houses (O.K. Heinemann, etc.) with the idea of the Victor Talking Machine Company selling parts.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

HMVDevotee wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:26 pm I'm not a Victor guy, but it seems counter-intuitive that Victor Talking Machines would sell their components to a competitor when Victor had a huge catalogue of sizes and styles of machines to sell directly to the public. Did Victor really wholesale components to specialty cabinet makers? I have a hard time believing they needed the business.

Robert

Victor, to my knowledge, never wholesaled any components, but there were companies that did, once the patents Victor, Columbia and Edison held began to expire. This site provides the REAL history -- https://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talk ... j-wakeman/

OrthoFan