Ron Stiko Estate Antique Phonograph Parts & Service Business

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Ron Stiko Estate Antique Phonograph Parts & Service Business

Post by Orchorsol »

alang wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:33 pm The linked auction listing states that bidding will start at $50,000, even though new parts alone are over $100k. I think it could be an opportunity for someone to start a business or for an existing business to expand.

Andreas
Let's say the parts inventory is worth $100k, or even $150k. In business terms $50k therefore seems an extremely high figure at which to start. To buy the whole inventory of mostly very slow-moving stock all at once would require a vastly bigger 'discount'. Sadly it doesn't look a viable commercial proposition IMHO - but I sincerely hope to be surprised and proved wrong! I wonder what will happen.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

$100,000 in inventory (retail, most likely) would take years, if not decades to move. The low total number of current collectors, along with the fact that most of the machines in collections have already been fixed, doesn't leave much of a market... New barn finds and unknown machines recently discovered would be the primary market... :? :roll:

10% of actual inventory value, would be more appropriate to start, otherwise the financial risk is too great...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Also, with high prices it is more unlikely that a younger person is going to buy the business. I'd personally enjoy working in a phonograph shop but cannot afford at this point to buy the shop, tooling, and inventory. Same for all my other younger friends in the phonograph circles. We enjoy restoring and collecting our phonographs but things like having a normal human life take priority.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

So much negativity towards this sale. Sheesh!

How about we all send positive thoughts to Ron's widow for a good sale and hope that it goes to someone that will share much like Ron did?! I think if someone wants to provide the kind of service to the hobby that Ron did they will want to purchase the parts and do us all a good favor. I think it is great that the inventory is being kept intact with the possibility of someone carrying on. If the parts just went in a general auction the parts would disappear all over and in the end what Ron provided would be gone forever.

Just my 2 cents...

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Not negativity, just reality... I hope Ron's widow gets a fair price, also...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Without a serious look at the books, none us can really determine if the $50,000 starting price is reasonable or not. I would expect that anyone seriously considering buying and running the business would do their due diligence.

I hope that Ron’s wife doesn’t have to take a loss and that Ron’s business survives and flourishes. More online sales and exposure might help to move the inventory. More access to parts and service might help more people to get into the hobby as well. Best of luck to anyone considering this.

As a retired toolmaker/engineer this would probably be a nice way to stay active and make some money as well. I will not be bidding, but it has nothing to do with the inventory or investment. If it wasn’t for some health issues and my remote location, I would want to take a serious look at the records. It’s not like it would be my soul income.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Django wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:10 pm It’s not like it would be my soul income.
I think this is the point I wanted to make earlier. I don't believe it was not Ron's main source of income either and would be a hobby income for a new buyer.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

melvind wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:12 am
Django wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:10 pm It’s not like it would be my soul income.
I think this is the point I wanted to make earlier. I don't believe it was not Ron's main source of income either and would be a hobby income for a new buyer.
Jesus is my soul income.

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all weak! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

gramophone-georg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm
Jesus is my soul income.

It’s a good thing that I was a better engineer than speller. “Sole income”. “Weak”, I like your sense of humor.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Django wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:04 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm

Jesus is my soul income.

It’s a good thing that I was a better engineer than speller. “Sole income”. “Weak”, I like your sense of humor.
And I'm a better speller than engineer. We're a team! :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek