Victor Monarch Special

Re: Tinfoil, real, fake or scam ??

Post by JerryVan »

How about posting photos of it?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Here are the two (small and not very clear) pictures.

I suspect this listing is a scam, given that the seller has 0 feedback. As for the machine, this came up over a dozen years ago. I referred to it in a post in 2010, which was a couple of years after it was being touted all over the internet: viewtopic.php?p=23165#p23165

As noted then, the machine itself is one of Goodwin Ive's 1977 creations, but it was extensively altered and covered with dirt to make it look old. I don't know if that machine is back in circulation or if this would-be seller just found some old photos to recycle. I suspect the latter since the pictures in the current listing show the same distribution of dirt and dust as the photos from 2008 or so.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

:roll: Pic was probably lifted off our forum.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

I see he has other items for sale which have bids both started at 99p someone will get scammed I've bid his tinfoil up to £15 and asked if he has a BIN price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353725802642 ... SwYaJhaY2Z

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353725792515 ... SwEn1haYur
Attachments
monster.JPG
monster.JPG (24.1 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
prop.jpg

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

"As noted then, the machine itself is one of Goodwin Ive's 1977 creations, but it was extensively altered and covered with dirt to make it look old. I don't know if that machine is back in circulation or if this would-be seller just found some old photos to recycle. I suspect the latter since the pictures in the current listing show the same distribution of dirt and dust as the photos ...."

This 1970's copy has done the rounds practically since the start of the internet. There was a shop in Scotland dealing in early technology that I seem to remember first had it - the shop seems to have disappeared.

These pictures can be found on PINTEREST

Of course to achieve the best price for an object, its best to make it look as terrible as possible ?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm "As noted then, the machine itself is one of Goodwin Ive's 1977 creations, but it was extensively altered and covered with dirt to make it look old. I don't know if that machine is back in circulation or if this would-be seller just found some old photos to recycle. I suspect the latter since the pictures in the current listing show the same distribution of dirt and dust as the photos ...."

This 1970's copy has done the rounds practically since the start of the internet. There was a shop in Scotland dealing in early technology that I seem to remember first had it - the shop seems to have disappeared.

These pictures can be found on PINTEREST

Of course to achieve the best price for an object, its best to make it look as terrible as possible ?
Ask Dave Smith. He's well versed in the art of making even good items look terrible. I wonder what camera he uses to achieve this dazzling effect? I really miss that blue chair too. I love the ambience it created. I hope he hasn't disposed of it! :lol:

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Sold for £16 other items for much more as the tinfoil was a scam presumably the others wre as well , I reported them all to Ebay but no response
Attachments
scam tinfoil.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It seems evident that phonograph collectors were quick to determine that the tinfoil was a scam listing, since the closing price is ridiculously low even for a replica. I feel bad for the bidders on the other listings. Hopefully they'll be covered by Paypal or their credit card issuer.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

And--- it's back. It's the scam that will not die. https://www.ebay.com/itm/393761230438
Attachments
Screen Shot 12-05-21 at 04.23 PM.PNG