Edison Ideal for auction in UK.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Edison Ideal for auction in UK.

Post by epigramophone »

Described as an Ideal this rare machine, later renamed the Idelia, is part of a collection coming up for auction.
Apart from the 10 panel oak Cygnet horn (should be an 11 panel mahogany) it appears to be a fine example.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 2400a007f2
Attachments
Ideal.jpg

Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: Edison Ideal for auction in UK.

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:46 am Described as an Ideal this rare machine, later renamed the Idelia, is part of a collection coming up for auction.
Apart from the 10 panel oak Cygnet horn (should be an 11 panel mahogany) it appears to be a fine example.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 2400a007f2
Well - it would have been a fine example if someone had left the case alone and not tried to clean it with whatever has been used that has taken the colour out of the finish. The mechanism looks ok and the horn of course quite nice and rare , for a Home , Standard or Fireside -- this wood -grained effect metal horn actually quite rare and more difficult to find than the wooden horn options. I seem to remember an Idelia with this style horn coming up for auction a few years ago -- could be the same machine ? I notice some of the other machines in the sale from the same collector have cases that have been over- cleaned , in fact most of the lots seem to have issues of one sort or another. An Edison Bell Duplex is offered but again the case finish has been ruined by some idiot who has maybe used oxalic acid perhaps in an attempt to remove stains , also it appears to have a Model C reproducer ,which of course won't work on a Concert machine , also missing its drop - down adapter for playing standard cylinders and missing the angled horn outlet / connector. Two Gramophone Co machines have also had their wooden cases similarly ruined -- one taken back nearly to bare wood then what looks like clear varnish over the top !! Personally I think the pre-sale estimates are a little on the strong side for some lots , considering the issues and the buyer's premium to add on. Sale day will prove interesting !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The colour beneath the Edison transfer is much the same as the rest of the case. If it had been aggressively cleaned it would have been necessary to avoid damaging the transfer, in which case the finish beneath it would have remained darker.
I think long exposure to sunlight is a more likely cause of any fading.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:38 pm The colour beneath the Edison transfer is much the same as the rest of the case. If it had been aggressively cleaned it would have been necessary to avoid damaging the transfer, in which case the finish beneath it would have remained darker.
I think long exposure to sunlight is a more likely cause of any fading.
You could well be right Roger , but the case does seem to have had a " life " to use a modern day phrase -- there are plenty of nasty marks evident which suggest a harsh existence . I suppose I was basing my assumptions on the appearance of some of the other gramophone lots in the sale , which certainly have had some aggressive cleaning and re-finishing , The Junior Monarch in the sale being one such obvious example . I do wish some owners would not try to " improve " the appearance of their machines when their skills in restoration and re-finishing woodwork are sadly lacking and not up to a decent standard , but then we have to blame the DIY mania thrust upon the public in the 1950's and 1960's for that -- my own father being in that era , his idea of improving the appearance of a wooden cabinet was to rub it down with fine sandpaper and apply Ronseal !! He had no idea about antique furniture Bless him !

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The handles at each end appear to be incorrect. Still, all said, I'd be proud to own it! ;)

fourbaers
Victor O

Post by fourbaers »

Interesting that this is a model "B" Ideal and yet it has no end gate and the back rod has the spiral oil groove. Some B's were converted to end-gateless machines at the time that they were "Amberolized" but this one looks like a later model. A little hard to tell based on the limited photos.

Appreciate any other insight.

Terry Baer
St. Louis

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fourbaers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:58 pm Interesting that this is a model "B" Ideal and yet it has no end gate and the back rod has the spiral oil groove. Some B's were converted to end-gateless machines at the time that they were "Amberolized" but this one looks like a later model. A little hard to tell based on the limited photos.

Appreciate any other insight.

Terry Baer
St. Louis
I wondered about this too, Terry. The serial number seems a bit early even for a Model C. Could that "5" in the serial number actually be a "3?"

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

phonogfp wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 pm
I wondered about this too, Terry. The serial number seems a bit early even for a Model C. Could that "5" in the serial number actually be a "3?"

George P.
George

I did a little cleanup work on the serial number stamping and it looks like it is just a badly stamped "5"
sernum.jpg
sernum.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Chuck

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's hard enough to find an Idelia, and those are already a major desideratum for a lot of collectors. This Ideal is mighty nice-looking & I am sure someone will be pretty happy to get it!

Curious to see what the bid goes to; it's not necessarily mint any more but it's looking way nicer than most machines that end up in my collection. Least it's still shaped like a phonograph, unlike a few others. Someone might have some work to do freshening it back up but it is still gorgeous.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ChuckA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:02 am George

I did a little cleanup work on the serial number stamping and it looks like it is just a badly stamped "5"

sernum.jpg

Chuck
Thanks Chuck!

George P.