Interesting - but what is it ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Interesting - but what is it ?

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:00 am
Steve wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:57 pm A Deccalian "Chippendale" style Boudoir gramophone made by Barnett Samuel (Decca) in 1922. Yes, they are far more elegant than the same machine shoe-horned into a wine cellerette with infill side panels and due to this model actually being catalogued we know it is genuine.
Surely you are not still casting doubts as to the authenticity of my Deccalian, despite being the underbidder at it's sale.
All you doubters are in for a big surprise when the results of my research are published in the next CLPGS magazine.
Okay, but how many of the doubters will even see that if it's confined to a CLPGS magazine? Not many, I'm thinking.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I suspect that most UK forum members who are not CLPGS members will know someone who is.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

A question to those of you who actually own one of these. Is this in two pieces, gramophone and stand or can it be separated?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

chunnybh wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:30 am A question to those of you who actually own one of these. Is this in two pieces, gramophone and stand or can it be separated?
Yes, I was wondering the same?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

chunnybh wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:30 am A question to those of you who actually own one of these. Is this in two pieces, gramophone and stand or can it be separated?
Hi Chunny,
It's one piece with no means of removing the top section.
Steve

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:53 am
Hi Chunny,
It's one piece with no means of removing the top section.
Steve
What is the sound quality like I wonder ? Better than an HMV 105 maybe ?

I am still uncertain as to what these actually are. Are they like limited edition exhibition pieces made by Decca ?

Thanks for any help you can give.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

[/quote]
I am still uncertain as to what these actually are. Are they like limited edition exhibition pieces made by Decca ?
[/quote]

The Deccalian range of period models was introduced in 1921. They were made by or for the musical instrument makers Barnett Samuel & Sons Ltd. At this time Decca was just the brand name of the portable which they had introduced in 1914.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:17 pm
[/quote]

The Deccalian range of period models was introduced in 1921. They were made by or for the musical instrument makers Barnett Samuel & Sons Ltd. At this time Decca was just the brand name of the portable which they had introduced in 1914.
[/quote]

Ah, I see. Thank you VERY much as always epigramophone.