VV-S-215 Opinions Requested

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Rastus10
Victor I

VV-S-215 Opinions Requested

Post by Rastus10 »

I will be the first to admit that I'm little better than a novice in regard to collecting the machines. I have one outside-horn machine, and am not desirous at this time of securing anything necessarily rare or lavish. I saw this ad, it's local, and I would sincerely appreciate your opinions as to the VV-S-215 model.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/atq/3982013877.html

Is $195 indeed a fair price?

I noticed that the knobs on the doors appear to be missing. Is this necessarily irreparable? Are there such things as replacement knobs?

When I am looking at the Victrola, what does one look for in terms of red flags, condition-wise?

I plan on taking some records to play--should I take a variety: vocal, instrumental, early dance bands, etc? What acoustic records would you take to play?

Now that you've had your laugh for the day with these silly questions, I look forward to any recommendations that might be forthcoming. Thank you!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: VV-S-215 Opinions Requested

Post by Jerry B. »

The VV-S-215 should have a radio in the left side. I couldn't tell from the photos if it's still there but that would be important for an interested buyer. If it's missing, $195 is too much. But for me, personally, almost any console is a difficult sale and holds very little collector interest. For example, I recently purchased a small collection and one of the machines is a very nice VV-210. It's in good condition, all the knobs are there, the mahogany finish is nice and original, the motor is quiet, and the Victrola 2 reproducer sounds fine. If anyone would stop by with $125, I'll help load it. I might even take a bad check. That's how I feel about the VV-210. A working and original VV-S-215 is a click better but not much.
I have no desire to offend anyone. The above is just my personal opinion and I think that's what you want. If you REALLY liked the machine, you would have already made the purchase. Jerry Blais

Rastus10
Victor I

Post by Rastus10 »

Thank you! A better informed opinion than my own is indeed what I requested.

I'm also interested to read points of view as to why what would look, to a layman, to be something quite desirable (I guess because it looks nice and it's old), is actually less so, or even "common" dare I use the term.

I appreciate the insight, greatly.

-Jon

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Rastus10 wrote:Thank you! A better informed opinion than my own is indeed what I requested.

I'm also interested to read points of view as to why what would look, to a layman, to be something quite desirable (I guess because it looks nice and it's old), is actually less so, or even "common" dare I use the term.

I appreciate the insight, greatly.

-Jon
I suppose it's because the console style of furniture has gone out of fashion. They are generally big and bulky, and unless you are one of those fortunate souls who only plan to collect one or two machines, they take up valuable floor real-estate and aren't terribly interesting to look at, in my opinion.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

We are all influenced by other collectors. When I started collecting over forty years ago, I was greatly influenced by several "first generation" phono collectors. They had biases that were passed to me. For the most part they were only interested in horn machines. Within that group, Edison and Victor were at the top. Columbia products were avoided because many suffered from pot metal issues. Uprights were considered a source for parts. A good example was a VTLA motor board for sale at Union in the early eighties. Attached to the board was the speed control, bullet brake, and motor. The seller made the assumption that any buyer would be buying the parts to complete a Vic VI. When I made an inquiry, I found out they had the complete cabinet at their home. When they offered to bring the cabinet to next years Union sale I paid their asking price. I reunited the parts, refinished the case, and was the proud owner of a VTLA. Over time I did develop ideas of my own and started buying Columbia machines with beautiful cabinets and fancy uprights. One area that I never developed an interest was in suitcase portables. I have enjoyed seeing the following this category has developed with more recent collectors. There is no doubt they put out a ton of music from a little package. The best advice I can give is for every collector to follow their instincts and buy what they like. Jerry Blais

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

You say a bad check, huh.... :twisted:

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Jerry B. wrote: I might even take a bad check. That's how I feel about the VV-210. A working and original VV-S-215 is a click better but not much.
Jerry, my "bad" check is in the mail..... :lol: :lol: :lol:.

whoopinola
Victor I
Personal Text: Hmmmmmmmmm??

Post by whoopinola »

The VV-S-215 is the radio ready model of the VV-215...the standard VV-215 had a drawer on the left side...Radio ready sets were provided to the dealer , so that the dealer could install the radio that the customer chose...The radio was not installed at the factory at this time...I suspect that dealers sold radio ready machines to customers who anticipated installing a radio at a later date , but never did...so in the case of this particular machine the lack of a radio doesn't necessarily mean that one is missing , it may never have had one installed... As far as knobs go , they are available at a reasonable cost from most suppliers....The VV-215 is a good machine , and the "S" model is the rarest of this series...The price seems fair....It's not going to increase much in value over the next 25 years , so you won't be retiring to Tahiti on the profit from the sale , but , if you are looking for a regular use machine that's durable , sounds good , and can handle most 78's out there , then the VV-215 is a good chouce