Canadian Victor?

Post by Dave »

Can anyone confirm its genuine?
eBay Item #290986920083

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Canadian Victor?

Post by Phonofreak »

The machine is an HMV Monarch. Some of these were imported into Canada. The case is refinished and the nipper decal is a replacement that is found on a horn. HMV machines used American Victor parts. Other HMV machines used a nickel plated back bracket. It's a nice machine, but not worth the price. Gregg Cline has the correct HMV decal.
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

[quote="Phonofreak"] Some of these were imported into Canada.

Really???......not sure where you read or heard that. Certainly not the correct info there.

As to the title of the thread...... There is nothing "Canadian" about this machine at all.

R.S. Williams & Sons were a very large Edison distributor/dealer in Toronto Canada. The plate shown in the ad was removed from a later Edison floor model machine of some sorts.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The reason I said this statement is I bought a similar machine here in Seattle, WA. I asked the owner of the machine the history of it. He told me when his family came to Seattle after WWI, they brought the machine with them. That's why I believe some of these HMV machines may have been imported to Canada. Or, maybe the machines were bought in England, and brought to Canada. Sometimes when I go into an antique store in Seattle, I see HMV machines, and other European machines. The shop owner told me that these machines came from Canada, by what the previous owners say when they sell the machines to him. Do you know of any dealers in Canada that sold machines, either HMV, Berliner, or other brands? That would be very interesting to hear about. I'd love to know.
Harvey kravitz
gramophone78 wrote:
Phonofreak wrote: Some of these were imported into Canada.

Really???......not sure where you read or heard that. Certainly not the correct info there.

As to the title of the thread...... There is nothing "Canadian" about this machine at all.

R.S. Williams & Sons were a very large Edison distributor/dealer in Toronto Canada. The plate shown in the ad was removed from a later Edison floor model machine of some sorts.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Not sure I would ever take what story an antique dealer has to spin verbatim..... :lol:.

Harvey, I think the best advice I can provide you (if you are interested) is to try and find a copy of "Roll Back The Years" by Edward B Moogk (1975). The book offers an interesting insight into the Canadian Phonograph/Gramophone industry.

I think you will find it quite informative.