2Bdecided
Victor I

Expert Senior on eBay UK

Post by 2Bdecided »

2Bdecided
Victor I

Re: Expert Senior on eBay UK

Post by 2Bdecided »

It says "horn rim exposes metal ring" - did they all have a metal ring around the rim, and if not when was that introduced? Was it only Expert, or EMG too?

(I'm thinking of all the oval papier mache horns I've seen listed in catalogues over the years!)

Cheers,
David.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Expert horns all had the aluminium ring as far as I know. They can distort with age and damp environments though! EMG's did not have the edge reinforcement but appear to have been made up to a greater thickness than their Rathbone Place cousins. Expert horns are rather thin in my experience unless they have been plastered over. The best horn I've ever heard was plastered and painted many times over leaving it with a perfectly smooth surface that was highly reflective and solid.

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

Thank you Steve - you're a mine of information!

Do you know when they changed from tone arms with a right-angled bend at the pivot to a swan-neck design? I've read that it makes a difference to the sound, but have never been able to do a like-for-like comparison on any machine. I read about the ?Balmain? design with no bends at all, which sounds like fun but rather impractical.

Cheers,
David.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It sold for £4667, which probably reflects not only it's rarity but also the impeccable credentials of the seller.